Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Retaruke: (Neilsons Reserve)

Was thinking of heading over to Returuke: (Neilsons Reserve) while up in Taumarunui to hunt some goats with my bow.

From the map it isn't a massive area but you have to cross the river to get in.
    Any tips on where to cross? Places I should focus on while in there?

Thanks
    Rob

Rob head for retaruke hall by the road you can cross not far from there. Almost straight across. Not a big patch of bush, and u will run into private land, but early morning u may find the odd goat down by the river edge. Watch out for kayakers, and if heavy rain get back across as the river can be uncross able.

I used to park at the cliffs before the road up to lake hawke, crossing is not an issue unless rain is heavy. Realise this wee river can be uncrossable with a few ml of rain. Goats easy yes but hunt them on your way out as ive picked up more than a few fallow from there. The first 5-600 meters after the river are a seriears of clearings and can be productive, also certain times the farm edge on the very north is special

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice.