Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Pav
  • 2 Post By DavidGunn

Thread: Rifle range

Rifle range

Hello Team. Hope you all are doing great. I am new in Hunting. Totally beginner. I have Mossberg 4x4 7mmRM Rifle. Need help in or around Hamilton to practice on Rifle and to setup scope as well. I have been Trap shooter for 8 years. Want to try hunting as well now. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Cheers Nav

Pav
    Get in touch with the Waikato Nzda, highly recommend the Hunts courses for new hunters. They are currently in the middle of running their HUNTS course for this year but I would recommend either joining or heading along to one of the club nights and look at doing the Hunts course next year. They also hold club hunts etc once a month and have an indoor .22 range at the clubhouse (good for developing good shooting skills and safe firearms handling). For setting up scope on your Rem mag, have a look at heading to Tokoroa sports shooting Complex. Only 3/4 hr drive from Hamilton and can sight in and shoot at 50, 100 & 200. Do you have a suppressor or muzzle brake on your rifle? If not, I think you might find the 7RM could be a little too much gun for your first rifle depending on the weight of the stock etc ( just my .5c) - Now waiting for everyone who started shooting RemMag to correct me
    300CALMAN likes this.

Thank you Pav for your reply. Yes I have contacted Local NZDA. You are right they are in the middle of hunting course right now for this year and for next year they already have more than 60 applications in line. I am thinking of joining on their monthly club hunt and for course will probably call Thames valley club to check when their course starts. Also I am going to call Tokoroa sports complex to check regarding their membership. No I don’t have suppressor or muzzle brake on rifle. Are you trying to say without those two there will be too much recoil?

If you want to travel about 45 km from Hamilton you can sight in at my place...don't brake or suppress until you have at least shot the rifle, I recommend both ear plugs and muffs for sighting in as I believe most recoil flinching is noise related...of course the first time you shoot the gun after wearing hearing protection it will scare the crap out of you, but then if in a hunting situation you wont even hear the gun go off as adrenalin will negate any sound made.
    gonebush and Steve123 like this.

Thank you so much David. I will PM you.

Hi, come tomorrow eve at the nzda club house in hamilton on dey st, we have a social night at 7pm. $5 entrance fee.
    There will be a presentation about radix outdoor food. And that way you will be able to meet a few of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Hi, come tomorrow eve at the nzda club house in hamilton on dey st, we have a social night at 7pm. $5 entrance fee.
    There will be a presentation about radix outdoor food. And that way you will be able to meet a few of us.

Perfect.. will come for sure.