Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree129Likes

Thread: Rituals - what are yours?

MFP

Rituals - what are yours?

Live's full of big and little rituals. Help us mark important times and phases in our lives or just focus the mind on the right things at the right time.

To go hunting, what do you do to get 'in the groove'? Not just getting out hunting, but in the flow.

I know I need at least 30 minutes to fall into the easy stalking meander. That's after walking into the area for an hour or two. The first half hour of stalking always seems hard work, then it's easier. Moving from 'get there' to 'be there'.

In that half hour I'm pretty sure I find any excuse to: tighten the backpack straps (again), have that drink and wonder how much better the water from home tastes in the bush compared to at home, check the ammo pouch is securely zipped up, the bino harness is tightened, the suppressor is tightened, the bolt is still closed (on empty chamber, of course). And then I have my last conscious thought about the other part of live: 'forget about the crap at work'. And then I know I'm in the groove.

So what do you do to get in the groove?

On the last few kms to the road end Iron Maiden gets put on. Run to the hills.
    veitnamcam, ANTSMAN, cb14 and 9 others like this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

My mate was riding his Honda 90 step-thru on a forestry track when he came across a massive stag slap bang in the middle of the track, stopped the bike with a foot either side, unslung his rifle, got the bolt from one pocket and inserted into rifle, dug out a round of ammo from another pocket and placed in magazine, removed scope cover, and all this time that stag just stood there looking at him, fed round into rifle and brought rifle to shoulder, released safety and aimed...yep stag was gone...when hunting now he is in the 'groove' as soon as he leaves the hut.

I always try to find a good horizontal log , at the right height, not too thick, not to thin , dry if possible to sit on and feel at home when I m doing a number two.

Ah, those great French rituals..

Laying a log off a log.

And of course I never go in the bush without my saucisson, my Camembert and a piece of baguette :-)
    6x47 and paremata like this.

I try to find a virgin goat, a sharp knife and a block of edam.
    A portable speaker cranking ABBA and some skin tight outfit.
    Full moon usually works best.
    ANOTHERHUNTER and Boaraxa like this.
    Use enough gun

MB
    Everything has to be ready the night before with checklists ticked. I'm a fun guy.

MFP
    So on the whole: One has a bush poo, one listens to Iron Maiden, one does things to a goat with a block of edam. Maybe I shouldn't have asked...
    Barefoot and Micky Duck like this.

stop just off the tarseal,let dog out for a pee,usually have one myself...then back into wagon,drive to usual parking spot,out with binos,calm look around ,get boots done up properly,gaiters on....load mag ,lock up wagon and set off....nearly always get all my gear out and ready the night before.... agree with get 50-100 yards into bush and just stop.....stop and blend in,try to get back into the zone...last time out I was super slow mode right from get go...it helped keep dog calm.
    RUMPY likes this.

Every morning I get up & go for a ritual piss off the deck after that it all depends on the wind.
    tetawa, A330driver, mimms2 and 1 others like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

MFP
    Hmhm, ticklists. I remember sitting in the car listening to two mates. One ribbing the other for forgetting his bolt. And when we hopped out the other realised he forgot one boot. That day I wondered what my choice of hunting mates says about me: Gunless clown on the left, jandeled joker on the right and I'm stuck in the middle.

Wake up at least 3 times before the alarm because im paranoid about sleeping in.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by MFP View Post
    So on the whole: One has a bush poo, one listens to Iron Maiden, one does things to a goat with a block of edam. Maybe I shouldn't have asked...
    Could probably incorporate all of the above into one dam fine goat 'blessing' ceremony
    Joe_90 likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Wake up at least 3 times before the alarm because im paranoid about sleeping in.
    If my partner was answering this thread on my behalf she would say my ritual is to commit to the hunting the day before (at the expense of whichever social function is booked that day), between 3.30am and 4.30am hit the snooze button six times then go back to sleep for a few more hours, at 7am advise of change in plan, it’s no longer deer stalking, it’s now a goat hunt and it’s at a different location.