Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By irgnz

Thread: Rookey after so many years

Rookey after so many years

A few weeks ago I got myself back in the bush after 7 years. Day 1 was a big day. 20 mins from the car, on the track I spooked deer no 1. Buggar, to fast, to noisy...I had a go at myself in my mind. I should know better, I have a few sika under my belt. After 7 hours of walking and stalking I saw the 2nd deer of the day. In comes mr rooky. No thourght as to weather this deer was nursing. Or the tree branch laying across the vital area. ... Up and boom. Then oh shit... Did I miss. Was there a glancing blow. Hell I dont know. I do know my fireing zone was fine. And i did identifie target.
    I searched for over 20 mins the found a s.all blood speck. Oh... Nw i feel stink. Was almost convinced it was a clean misd, which I could live with. Te search continued. 2 more spots. Not big but tat dosn't matter. Then prints. 1 set large. The deer I shot at, 1 quite small. Bugger, a fole. Feeling worse I searched on. Retracing the prints time and again but kept lossing the trail. After 2 1/2 hours darkness was coming quick so I had to head back to camp.
    This is my first non recover of my hunting career. 95% being boom thumps. If only I had engaged the brain. Taken that half step to brace myself against the tree. If only I had looked around. Mybe I would not have taken the shot and left the young one motherless. I only hope that the shot was a flesh wound. And she survived.
    The feeling of dread that I have wounded an animal and not been able to finish the job is quite overwhelming, and sading. The next 3 days of rain would not have allowed me to find the trail again. I will be back in te bush soon. But with more knowledge and thinking at my desposal.
    dogmatix likes this.

Bad luck let's hope it survives, but I think anyone who has done a bit of hunting has to experience this out come. So long as we learn form it that chance of it happening again is reduced.