Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 4 Post By Nickoli
  • 1 Post By Nickoli
  • 1 Post By Dorkus
  • 1 Post By Hindquarters
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 1 Post By Nickoli

Thread: Ruahine Hut/Big Hill Station

Ruahine Hut/Big Hill Station

Hey all,

I'm heading into Ruahine hut via Big Hill for the first week of April with 3 brothers in law. Never been in there before.

Has anyone got any generic advice on how to approach hunting in that area? What are the quad tracks that are marked on the map like? Should we plan to stay at the hut and day hunt or take fly camping gear and plan to go further afield?

Cheers,
    Adam
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

punch that into YT and you will see a few recent videos that will show you some useful info
    Dorkus likes this.

I've just come out of there - had the ballot for 12 March. I've spent a fair bit of time in there over the years, usually having climbed up Golden Crown (from Masters Shelter, or Sentry Box). You need to be really aware of the Iwi blocks - I'm pretty sure the consequences of getting caught hunting on these blocks without permission would be treated the same as any other trespass offence.
    The old man & I headed out towards Aranga and onto the main range, fly camping out there is very productive with plenty of animals out and about - no roaring heard while we were there, but they cannot be far off.
    Heading towards Ikawtea can be worthwhile, but I would recommend camping on the plateau above the river (rather than heading all the way down to the hut).
    Diannes Hut and the river here is tight and very limited animal numbers, but heading up to Taruarau Biv is worthwhile - hunt the open tops above Shutes Hut or the Taruarau ridge out of Taruarau Biv.
    I've not hunted out of Ruahine Hut per-se, I've always gone further afield.....I imagine the tops around the road are fairly heavily spotlighted and the Iwi land heavily poached.
    Ditch the quad, stretch the legs and do some proper hunting.....it will be worth it if you're meat hunting. Head quality in the area is questionable if you're looking for big antlers.
    Hope this helps - -happy to answer any questions.
    Rich007, rugerman, Dorkus and 1 others like this.

.....also - the Apias stream is awesome, but it's a bit of a haul out of there with a pack load of meat.
    Dorkus likes this.

Thanks, that's a fair bit there to digest. I'll re-read that tomorrow while looking at a map and see if I can make more sense of it (I don't know the area well).

I might send you a PM with a few questions if you don't mind?
    Nickoli likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

If you make it to ikawetea there are 4 of us from the forum in there all next week.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Reindeer View Post
    If you make it to ikawetea there are 4 of us from the forum in there all next week.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Where was my invite!?

I was in there early feb, stayed in Ruahine hut, plenty animals around, tracks ok we got the ute right up to the gate to no mans, track looks like it could get a bit sticky with a bit of rain, tops clagged in early most evenings as they do up there nice spot for a visit, best of luck

Pm. Me your phone number..hunted there many times.
    Dorkus likes this.

Fly camp out further afield. Area around Ruahine Hut cops a hiding. Be careful of Aorangi/Te Koau land in the Apias etc. North of Dianes has had a dose of 1080 recently so may not be too good.

I was in Ik forks clearing the stoat traps last weekend and heard a few roars.Dead dog area might be worth a look.
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    I've just come out of there - had the ballot for 12 March. I've spent a fair bit of time in there over the years, usually having climbed up Golden Crown (from Masters Shelter, or Sentry Box). You need to be really aware of the Iwi blocks - I'm pretty sure the consequences of getting caught hunting on these blocks without permission would be treated the same as any other trespass offence.
    The old man & I headed out towards Aranga and onto the main range, fly camping out there is very productive with plenty of animals out and about - no roaring heard while we were there, but they cannot be far off.
    Heading towards Ikawtea can be worthwhile, but I would recommend camping on the plateau above the river (rather than heading all the way down to the hut).
    Diannes Hut and the river here is tight and very limited animal numbers, but heading up to Taruarau Biv is worthwhile - hunt the open tops above Shutes Hut or the Taruarau ridge out of Taruarau Biv.
    I've not hunted out of Ruahine Hut per-se, I've always gone further afield.....I imagine the tops around the road are fairly heavily spotlighted and the Iwi land heavily poached.
    Ditch the quad, stretch the legs and do some proper hunting.....it will be worth it if you're meat hunting. Head quality in the area is questionable if you're looking for big antlers.
    Hope this helps - -happy to answer any questions.
    Anything left of Aranga Hut ...? been right over to mistake bivy years ago ..nice country

Quote Originally Posted by bazz61 View Post
    Anything left of Aranga Hut ...? been right over to mistake bivy years ago ..nice country
    Mistake is now on one of the iwi blocks - so would be trespassing without permission to be there.
    warrior likes this.