Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Ruahine waro

Ruahine waro

Just got this from NZDA National

Ruahine WARO Decision

The Department has reached a mutual agreement with the two operators who primarily operate in the Ruahines to vary their NI WARO permits by returning it to the 2009 restrictions, i.e. WARO may occur only during the period from 1 May to 30 November inclusive.

In addition, where monitoring shows a need for targeted wild animal control in specified places of the Ruahines, the Department has committed to allowing these two operators the opportunity to undertake WARO activity in those specified places for specified (short-term) periods. This additional control, if required, will not extend into the current prohibited “helicopter-free” parts of the Ruahines.

A decision has now been made where the Department will seek to negotiate with the remaining three current NI WARO permit holders to vary their current permit to change the dates to where WARO may take place in the Ruahines to 1 May – 30 November, while should the Minister consider it necessary, allowing for short term WARO activity outside the restricted season at specific places and for specified times.

Any new applicants for NI WARO permits during the current term (expiring on 30 June 2018) will also be subject to the restricted season in the Ruahines.

The decision has been made in the context of the additional information provided (during the engagement process) whilst acknowledging there remain issues with regard to the residual deer population in the Ruahines that will be assessed through a monitoring programme.

The Department will put the decision and documentation on the website in due course, and will separately advise when the changes to the permits have been made.

Separate to this process, the Department is currently drawing up the terms of reference for the wider sector conversation with operators, processors, the guided hunting sector, the GAC and the recreational hunting sector to look at a more long-term sustainable future for management of wild animal recovery in New Zealand (on public conservation land). This will ensure all users’ needs are recognised and accommodated in a manner that is acceptable to all parties. This will provide a certainty of approach that can then be taken into the next permit review when the 2015 WARO permits expire in 2018.

Best wishes for the Xmas Season.

Mike Slater
    Deputy Director-General Operations
    Department of Conservation - Te Papa Atawhai
    Conservation House | 18-32 Manners St, Wellington | PO Box 10-420, Wellington 6143

Conservation leadership for our nature Tākina te hī, Tiakina, te hā o te Āo Tūroa
    199p likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Nice outcome.
    As interested parties I now challenge all deer stalkers to get out there and ensure there is no need for "Short term WARO activity".
    199p, BRADS, Nibblet and 1 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Im with James
    if we as hunters keep the numbers lower there will be no need for further waro outsourcing
    kiwijames likes this.

Share a spot or two with me and il get out there

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by petree View Post
    Anywhere in the Ruahines. ..Deer ever where at the moment, just got to go and have a look.
    kiwijames, Munsey and BRADS like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Anywhere but the car park is loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So hunters keep saying,it's not from lack of trying ,one day I will find a spot I can watch them most days

So hunters keep saying,it's not from lack of trying ,one day I will find a spot I can watch them most days
    Looking at your avatar you do alright

One Pic? Not my deer. But I'm slowly getting there

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Get some decent binoculars.
    BRADS likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Where u live man?
    Hard to find a road end with our deer atm
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Sweet

GWH
    Hey man, i went for a quick fly camp 2 weekends ago on my own into the Ruahines, first time ever to this rd end, and first time ever up this river, weather was shit (windy as), heaps of sign in river bed and on river flats, definitely a few deer about, bumped into a velvet stag at about 20 yards only 250 odd yards from my camp early on Sunday morning, gave him a free ride back to my place ;-)

Im far from an expert, but pretty much pick any of the normal rd ends, and plan your walk up the river/creek for late arvo/early morning, have your fly camp gear with you, walk at least an hour from the rd end or where ever you find heaps of sign, set up camp, and go hunting from here, heaps of grassy slips above many ruahine rivers/creeks, and often some good grassy river flats. Keep a good eye on the slips and flats until absolute last light, and from very first light. Some of the side creeks offer some good hunting opportunities too.

Get out there, and spend time in these hot spots with plenty of sign about, and you will get lucky soon enough.
    Shootm and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nice outcome.
    As interested parties I now challenge all deer stalkers to get out there and ensure there is no need for "Short term WARO activity".
    So hinds and velveties.........or too soon

Jokes boys keep ya pants on.

Damn gd outcome and yes keep it under control or temporarily loose it

Hamish

Sent from my E2353 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Is there a map showing the area waro operates in?