Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Puffin
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By kiwiaviator
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Ruahines, Tararuas, Haurangis, Rimutakas

Ruahines, Tararuas, Haurangis, Rimutakas

Do you hunt any of the above public land ?

A document called the “Wellington Conservation Management Strategy” (CMS) establishes the Department of Conservation’s objectives for the management of these forest parks and is currently under review. A draft Strategy has been out for consultation for some months.

Public submissions on the content of this document close in TWO WEEKS on the 4th of April.

The finalised CMS will determine what can and cannot happen in our forest parks in the lower North Island, and once in place will do so for AT LEAST the next 10 years.
    A copy of the complete CMS can be found here, along with DoC's own guidelines for making a submission:

Draft Wellington Conservation Management Strategy

Volume I is is the strategy document, Volume II is an appendix with maps.

Because the strategy is comprehensive, it is both lengthy and covers all conservation aspects. To make things easier the Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation and Hutt Valley NZDA have put together a guide to making a submission, identifying just the issues in the CMS that will directly affect our hunting. There is also a draft submission form where submitters are free to either simply add their contact details and put in the form as-is, or to pick points from it and use them in a personalized submission. Form and guide here:

NZDA Hutt Valley Branch Inc. - March 2017 update WARO Challenge and CMS review

The important thing is to put in a submission. A quarter of an hour putting in a submission that might influence a quarter of a century of hunting is not a bad investment of your time. The more people submit on this review the better the outcome we will get.

If you want to have input into the way the Department of Conservation implement their policy in these forest parks in respect of:

- Wild animal recovery operations (WARO),
    - Other control methods such as 1080,
    - The role of hunting as both a valid recreational activity and as a means of maintaining deer numbers,

Now is the time to have your say. It will be more effective if opinions both for and against DoCs proposed strategy are referenced against where they appear in the CMS rather than just having a general rant.
    Wildman and WallyR like this.

Cheers mate good reminder

got mine all done its very simple guys and only took me 5 min

Outsiders welcome to do it?
    199p likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Outsiders welcome to do it?
    Unless your tax dollars don't go into the management of tne Parks or your not a citizen knock your sock off. More the better.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Done mine it's super easy.

Done. Also added this. Very unhappy with the timing of this drop. Got a mate who is coming from Perth for the roar. We booked to fly into Andersons. Now going elsewhere.

“Natural Values” 6.3.2

Aerial 1080 drops should be restricted to not coincide with the roar. The ‘Roar’ period is an important time for recreational hunters and also has economic benefits. The Project Kaka drop has just been completed a few weeks before the roar and there are now local and overseas hunters who have had to change plans and bookings.

Addition 6.3.2.4
    Restrict aerial 1080 drops between January 1 and April 30 in all Wellington Forest parks
    Gibo likes this.

what does "I do not wish to be heard in support of my submission" mean in doc language. i live in Auckland so can't go to a meeting or whatever. So i said no to the first one about going to a hearing but not sure about the second one so i'm assuming it's put no as i'm in auckland?

cheers.

I ended up just deleting the row about being at the hearing and saying that i didn't want to be heard at a hearing. just sent it off to the email now.

TTT, TWO days left to have a say on what you think should and shouldn't happen in these parks.

This is an awesome example of how the forum can help. O.p. Doesn't express to many views or politics, it's entirely up to you what you want to say but he thread just makes people aware of what their options are
    JasonW likes this.