Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Fred Fisherman
  • 2 Post By Spud1986

Thread: Sausage making machine

Sausage making machine

Hi team,

Am looking at a present for someone who wants to have a go at making sausages. They don't want to make heaps, just really nice ones with all natural ingredients. And part of it being the simplicity and culture if you get my drift. Sometimes making them for a specific occasion etc etc. Am wondering if an old style hand mincer might be good but don't know if you can put the finished mix through them and get a sausage making attachment to put on it that the skins go on etc. I have never done it but know they would like the ease of cleaning etc etc. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Trying to avoid buying a star ship enterprise.

Cheers

I bought a Kenwood mincer with sausage attachment from Harvey Norman. Paid $265 on special. It’s 1500w from memory and recently took all the scraps from 5 deer. If you have a Kenwood cake mixer, the front of the top piece pops off to take their mincing attachment. I have an unused one here. Unsure if that mixer will take a sausage filling attachment, but someone will know. Far easier than the old style clamp-on-bench type.
    Micky Duck likes this.

we bought kenwood to do them....used it a few times then found what we wanted in first place a george foreman mincer with tube bits...its way nosier but much more grunty......we mince all our venison thats not steak...... sausages are fun to do...there is another thread on here with recipes included.
    mimms2 likes this.

Ive got the george foreman mincer, had it for more than 15 years, and in excess of 60 critters have taken their last journey through that mincer. Ive had smoke come out it a couple of times, but still going strong, Ive put a bit of paua through it too which it seems to cope with. Awesome machine.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks had looked at a hand mincer and then a sausage stuffing machine. Only doing small quantities. Would the hand mincer do a good job? What do people think? Many thanks.

yip would work fine..... Ive done 15-20kgs of goose breasts through hand mincer in one hit.....biggest tip I can give is have good sturdy bench to secure it too.

Great thanks

My experience is No on the hand mincer. They bind up with a bit of sinew to easy. You want half decent gear to enjoy making sausages.

You can have a look at aliexpress since they are selling these machines at a much lower price. Usually they are not that bad in contrast to buying stuff from wish. Never again!

If doing sausages it’s far easier to have seperate mincer and sausage stuffer, and in general the more you spend the better quality you get, if making sausages the thing that will be the hardest on your mincer is the fat, keeping things ice cold will help this issue. A mincer that can handle making general mince etc will battle when you start mixing meat with a high fat content. My George Forman mincer was fine for venison mince etc but met its end when I started trying to do sausages/salamis etc through it.

If making small quantities you could get by with a hand mincer and a small stuffer, you can get 1kg ones on trademe. What I’ve found though is theirs the same amount of cleaning to do whether you make 5kg or 40kg.......
    dannyb and Hiawatha like this.

In the 60's and 70's the old hand mincer worked a treat. They can be hard work to turn for long periods of time, but 15 kgs is doable. They of course will never let the smoke out for larger amounts, but you might, unless you have a dozen cold ones nearby.