Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sometimes1

Thread: A Scaury Gost

A Scaury Gost

A competent shot on a none too large goat. Good eating coming up ...
    Name:  Kid goat and gun copy.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  827.7 KB

So, I took the "backsteaks" . Not the biggest, but worthwhile. I turn it over to get the back legs:
    Name:  Scours 1 copy.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  600.7 KB

Name:  Scours 2 copy.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  656.3 KB

I couldn't bring myself to even take the meat. I thought I wouldn't be able to get the legs off without contaminating it with the smelly caked on diarrhoea. Quite sad really.

To much fresh new grass just going straight though but yip leave it on the hill for pigs

Excellent choice in footwear to
    Micky Duck and Tribrit like this.

Thought the thread title was a typo of "scary ghost"

Woupd have done the same, goats smell bad enough without the extra, as said it could well be the fresh grass but could be anything causing it which could lead to unsafe meat.... would also be a mission not to contaiminate the meat, i know how much hair ends up on mine even trying my best to keep it clean

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    Excellent choice in footwear to
    I can wash them easily so not carry sh*t from one farm to another.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Thought the thread title was a typo of "scary ghost"

Woupd have done the same, goats smell bad enough without the extra, as said it could well be the fresh grass but could be anything causing it which could lead to unsafe meat.... would also be a mission not to contaiminate the meat, i know how much hair ends up on mine even trying my best to keep it clean
    Yes, I've put it down to fresh grass before. You see it more in the spring. This time I shot 4 together, 2 kids , 2 nannies and the other three were sweet and clean.

It's quite possible that the animal heard that @Moa Hunter was hunting in the vicinity, and shit itself in fear

Banned
    It is quite possible that it is badly parasitised, the face looks swollen under the jaw (bottle jaw) which if that is the case, is caused by fluid as a side effect of parasite infection.
    You did the right thing to 1) shoot the dirty infected bastard and 2) discard it.
    It is not likely to have a scour like that from grass because it is not shut in a paddock and has a choice of harder feed it can go to, to balance it's diet. A sure sign that something is wrong - the other three were fine.