Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Serious Warning. Zombie disease hits 24 States in USA and Canada.

Serious Warning. Zombie disease hits 24 States in USA and Canada.

Please check out the article in Stuff.
    This is incurable and is affecting deer moose and wapiti. It may be transmitted to humans. The implications for NZ Deer industry and hunting are serious IMO.

CWD?
    superdiver likes this.

Dont know. Be good if somebody could copy and paste the link on here.

They are saying it is a wasting disease but involves the brain.

HOO
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/americas...hits-us-canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Woody likes this.

HOO
    Hasn’t been in NZ yet as far as I’ve heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten
    They started researching if it could possibly infect humans in 2002 so its been around a while. Sounds like the answer is "maybe".
    HHS to study whether chronic wasting disease threatens humans | CIDRAP

The biggest worry for us would be some extremist greenie bringing it in to NZ to reduce wild deer populations. Farmers were able to sneak in RHD for rabbits in the '90's so that type of thing is do-able.
    Note that I think it would be extremely unlikely of course.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I am quite sure that Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, must see this as one enormous great big increased funding opportunity. Quick! Man the phones! Make a fuss to ignorant journalists!

Until a case of CWD is confirmed in the human population, why worry? Its a problem for the hunters for sure, more because its hard enough to get a tag in some places, you don't want to find the local deer all munted and dribbling, asking to be shot.

The closest parallel available in terms of prion disease transmission to humans is mad cow disease (BSE). Every time it is mentioned, the report usually neglects to specify that the death rate from Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (the human form of BSE) is one per million of population, and of that the actual number that acquired as a disease from cattle tissue is very low indeed, about 1-2%. Most people just get it for no apparent reason (85%), or it can be hereditary (10-15%). And those numbers come from eating beef which is somewhat more common in the US and Europe then eating venison.

So work out the risk from catching mad cow disease - 1-2% of one in a million....

I'll take my chances.

These alarmist reports don't do anyone any good, welcome to the world of fake news and conspiracy theories.

Don't get me wrong I am disappointed to hear this because it's not good for that deer resource, obviously. And also when reading these reports if you see a reference to CWD in the UK, please remember that it is probably referring to Chinese water deer... an unfortunate coincidence of acronyms.
    Just...say...the...word

It's Chronic Wasting Disorder aka CWD. Been in the States for decades. None in NZ, and risk of new infection should be low, should MPI do their jobs at the border. It could come in on soles of boots I imagine? As supposedly the disease can sit in soil. No evidence to suggest CWD can be transmitted to humans, that said, none to suggest it can't.

I personally know people in Canada who have had to shut down their entire deer farm, slaughter a few thousand breeding hinds all because one old carcass was found and tested inconclusive to CWD. First and only case of it in their area so it's on lock down. Basically the farm gets shut down, and sterilized, and will probably never be a deer farm again. No hunting permitted within 30 miles of the boundary either. Huge costs, financially and socially and huge stress for them.

The cynical side of me makes me raise my eyebrows to these type of reports, suggesting its the new end of the world, when in fact it's been around for ages. Especially with the loud and proud anti farming and anti hunting population. Anything to control how we put meat protein on our table is a win for them.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Maca49 and 4 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Ahh just seen some news, apparently it has been causing the deer to bite one another and that is now the infection is spreading. Earlier today a hunter came in with a bite from one of the infected beasts and he is already showing some symptoms

Gone but not forgotten
    Hornady need to restart production of the Zombie max projectiles, or we are all doomed!

Name:  zombiedeer.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  98.0 KB

And then @rossi.45 and myself are trying to contain the zombie rabbit out break here in central ......it's not easy but we are trying to keep you guys safe.......Name:  Graphic2.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  33.3 KB don't fucken mention it
    veitnamcam, john m, 223nut and 2 others like this.

Apparently they have sent out a few culling teams. They are reporting that lung shots are not dropping them. Head shots seem to be working though
    Dead is better and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Dont know. Be good if somebody could copy and paste the link on here.

They are saying it is a wasting disease but involves the brain.
    Ive seen your waist, you been checked out? I wont comment on the brain!
    Woody likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

They found it over here in a Reindyr heard on Hardangervidda.

They shot the entire 2000 Animals that had been migrating over that area for thousands of years,found 6 infected Animals but allowed the farmers to continue grazing 6000 fucking sheep!

Mental.

https://www.nationen.no/nyhet/nedsla...fjella-i-gang/
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"