Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 199p
  • 1 Post By 338 man
  • 1 Post By top gun
  • 1 Post By northdude

Thread: setting up camp

northdude

setting up camp

im going to try hunting in a different place as someone burnt the hut down that we use to use i know i could set up camp were it use to be but want to try a different place how do you guys choose a spot do you camp right in the area were theres sighn and lots of trails or set up out of the area so as not to disturb things to much thanks for any ideas

Well mate you kind of answered your own question there

Couple of other considerations like, is water nearby, what direction the prevailing wind comes from and how you set your camp up in respect to that. Flat areas so you arent sleeping on rocks
    #BallisticFists

I like to have them fairly handy to a track. You want to be able to get there in the dark, say Friday night after work. You can also use the track/s to access your hunting spots. I wouldnt make my camp right on top of my hunting spot either, 15 minutes away or so is good. Definitely need to have water handy too.

P38
    Yep

Set up camp away from where you intend to hunt, sheltered from the worst of any weather and preferably handy to water.

Remember camp sounds and smells can carry a long way in the bush.

Don't want to alert any resident animals and put them on guard or move them off entirely.

Cheers
    Pete

Water would be number one and you want to be a little bit away from the prime hunting spots.
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Water yes, but not too close to a stream or river...only need a decent shower of rain and you could be needing water wings...!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

I think it depends on what you are hunting, if reds then stay well away as those big noses will lead them out of the area while your there. If sika, just pick the best site because they can handle human sent. I think they like the challenge.
    We had a camp placed right in the middle of a hot zone and not once did we think it spooked the animals. We would load up inside the camp then walk out and spooked or shot many from the door. Often on returning from a hunt we would spook deer that we think were looking in the window !
    Pity about your camp getting torched. Jealously is a bummer. Our camp got similar treatment
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    I think it depends on what you are hunting, if reds then stay well away as those big noses will lead them out of the area while your there. If sika, just pick the best site because they can handle human sent. I think they like the challenge.
    We had a camp placed right in the middle of a hot zone and not once did we think it spooked the animals. We would load up inside the camp then walk out and spooked or shot many from the door. Often on returning from a hunt we would spook deer that we think were looking in the window !
    Pity about your camp getting torched. Jealously is a bummer. Our camp got similar treatment
    I can vouch for the comment about Sika & human pongs. I came into a camp I was using for many years down the Tiraki area one day & there were 3 or 4 sika just standing right in the middle of the camp site!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes!!! I had seen the fresh mahoe growth being chewed several times previously & always stalked the last 100m or so into the camp. That day I was rewarded with a fat little spiker & was back at my digs by midday!!!

So they don't mind our scent at all so it would appear, in fact I agree with 338's comment- the little bastards enjoy giving us a challenge. Doesn't seem to be the same set of rules when I'm stalking with one up the spout & thumb over a 1/2 cocked bolt though!!!!!
    338 man likes this.

northdude
    Thanks for the replys its good to see what others do
    Roy Lehndorf likes this.