Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SlowElliot
  • 2 Post By rockland

Thread: Shooting goats around Gisborne

Shooting goats around Gisborne

I am a young hunter in Gisborne for the next 6 weeks and have noticed what seems to be an abundance of goats on the surrounding farmlands. I am wondering if anyone has any information on this, if people are generally open to letting people shoot them on their land or if there was anyone out there that might be able to point me in the right direction.
    Cheers

tell us a bit about yourself? what are you up to in gisborne 6 weeks. whats your firearm- hunting experience.

Welcome Landers.
    Definitely do not trespass.
    Just go knock on the farmers door and politely ask.
    Don't rock on up with you rifle over your shoulder and all your hunting gear on.
    PERRISCICABA and Boaraxa like this.

Hi landers, welcome to the Forum.

I'm a native of Gisborne and used to do a lot of goat hunting there, mostly in pine forests that had just been planted, or just about to be. Forestry managers hate goats eating their new trees.
    Grab an old skool phone book Yellow Pages (or go online I guess) and look up "Forestry services,management & consultants". See who has an office in Gisborne. Call or visit them and ask if they issue permits for goat hunting. Sometimes they only issue permits for weekends if contractors are working in the blocks. I never had to pay for a permit and had some fantastic blocks with kms of access roads and great scenery, all to myself!

Where ever you hunt, use an adequate rifle and don't leave wounded goats all over the place, it's not a good look.
    sometimes and Steve123 like this.

I'm a 4th year physiotherapy student from the University of Otago doing my 6 week community placement in Gisborne. I have some experience hunting deer and tahr in the south island, predominately in the central Otago region. I am originally from Whangarei, where I have shot a few goats and had my firearms licence since I was 16 (now 21).

Thanks for the replies, I will have to look into those forestry blocks more this week.

forestry is just about impossible to get a permit from in gisborne. you can try your luck. gisborne district council have a forest block 15min from gisborne on the gentle anne you could try them. There are still farms happy for the goats to get shot but still alot of guys like to muster them.(not bad money) even go have a talk with DOC, Simon hustler is a field officer there very helpful guy. having a goat shoot where i work but want be to the end of april/may. riverside road has/had good numbers you could try door knocking up there.

Yeah you may struggle this time of year too - high fire risk means they don't like to issue permits. But as above - ring around - all they can do is say no...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk