Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By deer243
  • 1 Post By Rusky
  • 2 Post By Moutere

Thread: Shot placement video

Shot placement video

Found this video. It is of african animals, but will be pretty similar for deer. They go to the extent of freezing animals then cutting them in half to show the exact position of the vital organs.

It's good to see this video - I hope it will help alot of less experienced hunters.

I have heard people speaking of neck shots but they are not the best kill points unless you are close. Finding the deer's vertebrae within the neck depth is not certain and its so easy to leave badly wounded animals. Centre shoulder is better - likely to immobilise the animal and clip essential organs, but again its not the best shot on a deer.

The money shot is low chest immediately behind the front leg. If you imagine a 150-200mm circular hit zone there and aim for that from any angle, you will drop the deer every time - they don't walk away.
    Last edited by mudgripz; 06-08-2016 at 02:21 PM.

Great video, I've been aiming a bit high on some of mine. Shoulders are much easier than head especially if the animals moving

I bush hunt 99.9 pcent of the time. You dont want wounded animals or them running 100 yards in thick bush. Anywhere broadside on in the shoulder region will drop them everytime. Havnt lost one animal or had them going any sort of distance hit there and most with a 243. Fact is shot a couple with a bad angle in shoulder(front on ) and still didnt lost them so the shoulder shot has a 100 pcent sucess rate for me.
    Will take the odd neck shot if its close or if the shoulders hidden for a clean shot but if you want a dead animal the shoulder region is the way to go.
    Have hit them hit, low, slightly right, slightly left, all fall over in that region so the room for error is pretty good esp as many shots are free standing. Trying a head or neck shot free standing is asking for trouble
    Tahr and CATLINS HUNTER like this.

I was pretty happy with this standing shot a few weeks back. She ran off but the blood trail began straight away and I'd estimate it was about 20m before she dropped. Entry pic is in the picture and exit was through right shoulder smashing the bone to pieces and going through vitals on its journey there as it was standing slightly up hill.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-so-far-28874/
    deer243 likes this.

No brainer
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
    the website help you find the best compound bow, best crossbow, best reucurve bow and spining reel.
    http://hunthacks.com/

Some may find this helpful.

gadgetman and ROKTOY like this.