Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stevodog
  • 1 Post By chainsaw

Thread: SI roar blocks

Banned

SI roar blocks

Thinking about going in for a roar block next year for a treat. After advice on which would good to enter in terms of reasonable access with rental car and good overall SI experience.
    Looking at Haast, Wanaka and Catlins.
    Thanks in advance

Haast and Wanaka would be what you would think of as big South Island country, so if you want big valleys and high tops go there. In terms of access best you look at the maps, some are off the main road, others will need heli/jet boat/shank's pony. Haast would be better for overall numbers, and Wanaka if you are after a big rack.

The Catlins is low altitude dense coastal rain forest, so the hunting is probably like lots of the NI except much colder. Also about to get 1080'ed, which doesn't worry me, but might concern some. Pretty good access from roads in general. Plenty of deer but no real trophy potential. The northern blocks are better hunting.
    Last edited by Dama dama; 22-08-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typos
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Banned
    Cool, thanks for the overview. Probably look at Haast then as my mates family were from there a couple of generations ago
    superdiver likes this.

Also check out what areas have recently been or about to be hammered by 1080. Some very good blocks got fucked over past year or 2.
    stevodog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Also check out what areas have recently been or about to be hammered by 1080. Some very good blocks got fucked over past year or 2.
    ^^^ What he said.... I caught up with a mate last week who has been going down to Haast for the past 15 odd years and he said that where they would see an average of 45 deer per trip, that the last 2 years they have only seen an average of 12! And that's with a few guys hunting every day for the whole time there. So that's a bit sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    ^^^ What he said.... I caught up with a mate last week who has been going down to Haast for the past 15 odd years and he said that where they would see an average of 45 deer per trip, that the last 2 years they have only seen an average of 12! And that's with a few guys hunting every day for the whole time there. So that's a bit sad!
    Yes - I was there June 2017 when they did the Jackson
    Saw 11 - or was it 16 ?? - can't remember - but 2 weeks later - nothing
    Was partly to do with onset of winter and a normal move off river flats - but my mate lives Jackson Bay says never been the same since - and its been done again since then.
    Amazing country - jet boating the Arawhata etc - that intrigued (I ex N Islander) did not even notice my legs below shorts black with sand flies :-)

Banned
    1080 seems to hit some deer populations more than others.
    The other thing I was looking at was a spring ballot in the caples

Caples & Greenstone were on the list to get nuked as well

Catlins has just been nuked. 33000 ha

Where ever you settle on make sure that you get in quick. I just tried to get a Molsworth block for February and the good blocks are all well and truly booked out.

Watched a RTS hunters episode of hunting haast roar blocks. Looked epic with a few stags seen but no real nice heads however they were in bush blocks. I would Just avoid lake Hawea as sounds like it is shit now