Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Sighting in rifle at St Arnaud

HOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I am not trying to be the rifle police here. Just explaining the situation and see it as a bit fragile. I would be disappointed to see the current relationship broken.
    Yeah understandable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HOO View Post
    Being under an hour from home I’d use it with approval but I’ll use it early on a weekday morning to avoid people I think. I don’t have anywhere local where I can zero in a rifle so obviously I’ll take care and read the situation when I get there. Probably go for a recon mission first To check it out

How do you get from Wellington to St Arnaud in an hour???
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

HOO
    How do you get from Wellington to St Arnaud in an hour???
    Recently moved to Wairau Valley.

Shearer likes this.

HOO

Sighting in rifle at St Arnaud

And the wife says Iím way too quick

Mmm...you sure you allowed centrefires at the sighting in area? I thought it was for .22 only. Last time i was up there , there were people everywhere and people just camping
    just down the road(3 lots) I think firing your 308 would scare the living crap out of some people, esp overseas people that are only 80 metres away in a tent.
    Im sure DOC told me it was for .22 only but they seem to tell different stories to different people.

There should not have been anyone camping 80m away. The nearest permitted camping is about 1km from the SIA.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Out of curiosity I emailed DOC Nelson Lakes Visitor Center yesterday and asked. Their response below, I have responded asking for clarity regarding centrefire. usage.

"Yes a permit is required for use at the sighting in range. We will also need to see your firearms licence before we can issue you the permit for the range with a .22 calibre.
    You are unable to do so 2 hours before sunset, and 2 hours after sunrise.
    Kind regards,"

Turtles photo of his permit states .22 hunting permit. I wouldn't read that as meaning centrefire personally.
    The use of centerfires in the area as others have said, with MTB riders, walkers etc. is something I wouldn't be keen to see....
    @Ftx325, we regularly got rimfire/small game permits for Leatham and also Rainbow Valley areas, (Edwards Valley etc.)
    HOO likes this.

@ROKTOY are you sure not after sunrise that would mean shooting in the dark surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    @ROKTOY are you sure not after sunrise that would mean shooting in the dark surely?
    That is copy and pasted from their reply, But yes I think they word their gots backwards a bit

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Out of curiosity I emailed DOC Nelson Lakes Visitor Center yesterday and asked. Their response below, I have responded asking for clarity regarding centrefire. usage.

"Yes a permit is required for use at the sighting in range. We will also need to see your firearms licence before we can issue you the permit for the range with a .22 calibre.
    Kind regards,"

Turtles photo of his permit states .22 hunting permit. I wouldn't read that as meaning centrefire personally.
    The use of centerfires in the area as others have said, with MTB riders, walkers etc. is something I wouldn't be keen to see....
    @Ftx325, we regularly got rimfire/small game permits for Leatham and also Rainbow Valley areas, (Edwards Valley etc.)
    Well I am a little bit dumbfounded at that @ROKTOY.
    Doc even referred me to fish and game who I also questioned and was told the same thing . No small game permits/rimfire issued in any Nelson areas ....
    And doc at the lake never mentioned the sighting in area and the couple of times we used it we never had a permit as weren't aware one was required . I even mentioned it was disappointing all the old local hunting areas were being taken over by cyclists and used that area as an example as used to be one of our old spots waaay back and were told definitely no hunting there . And this was face to face at the lake doc office ....
    Last edited by Ftx325; 14-07-2021 at 10:07 PM.
    born to hunt - forced to work

There should not have been anyone camping 80m away. The nearest permitted camping is about 1km from the SIA.
    People camp all over the place up there. Ive seen them from one end to the other and everywhere in between. I havnt noticed any signs saying you cant camp here.
    Theres often people staying at the sighting in range in their vans etc, plus seen tents in the foresty edge way up.
    It amazes me where they pop up and i always think why the f are you staying the night there for.
    Havnt been up for awhile but even with this covid there were plenty camped up there last time i was up, counted 8 groups and it was cold as fuk.
    Pengy likes this.

Out of curiosity I emailed DOC Nelson Lakes Visitor Center yesterday and asked. Their response below, I have responded asking for clarity regarding centrefire usage.

Kind regards,"

The second response from the same lady at the office in regards to my query to confirm the use of centrefire rifles at the sighting in range.

"For the sighting in range, only .22 rifles. Centrefire is fine for a DOC Hunting Permit (not permitted at Teetotal during school holidays i.e. now until 25 July). "

The second response from the same lady at the office in regards to my query to confirm the use of centrefire rifles at the sighting in range.

"For the sighting in range, only .22 rifles. Centrefire is fine for a DOC Hunting Permit (not permitted at Teetotal during school holidays i.e. now until 25 July). "
    Amazing this. We went back to query the wording on the permit, because we wanted to use center fire. The lady said it was fine, as long as it wasn't a shotgun. No mention about school holidays. We saw volunteer track workers and trap people preparing to leave for their area as we arrived, they were fine with us sighting in a .308 and .243.

Incredible that we could do this yet at home at the NZDA Range we have to do a range safety course, display a red flag and lock gates behind us.

I think Thar might be right I should never have started the thread

We even found .270 brass
    Last edited by turtle; 16-07-2021 at 12:22 PM. Reason: .270
    Shearer likes this.