Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By bigbear

Thread: Skin a deer with a golf ball.

Skin a deer with a golf ball.

"Skin a deer with a golf ball."...............Oh, a rope, a Honda Pioneer, a knife and a tree.

Sad that American's never mastered basic English communication skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    "Skin a deer with a golf ball."...............Oh, a rope, a Honda Pioneer, a knife and a tree.

Sad that American's never mastered basic English communication skills.
    They hated the English for every thing else, surprised they kept the language.
    tetawa likes this.

Used to do it a lot with dog tucker goats. One end hooked to a power pole and the other to the quad or ute winch. Works well but unless you get it 100% it tends to rip a bit of meat off with it. These days I am pretty quick with a knife when skinning and prefer the lack of set up for this method (knife only). And how clean my carcasses are. Oh, and stones are cheaper than golf balls.

Gone but not forgotten
    Deer, sheep and goats I mostly work the skin off by hand (what's usually called punching the skin off, but punch ain't quite the right word).
    When I was young I got told off if I used the knife on the main part of the skin, and big trouble if I actually put a cut in the skin!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    They hated the English for every thing else, surprised they kept the language.
    they rebelled because the english demanded tax,,they just swapped tax masters

DLW
    Have used that trick a few times and works great

An air compressor works well on turkeys and chickens, would probably do the business here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    An air compressor works well on turkeys and chickens, would probably do the business here as well.
    That's how they do the dead calves for processing isn't it?

Bos
    There is a right way and a wrong way to skin an animal, but if you're not to fussy then any way is probably ok.
    I usually clear the flanks, back legs, and shoulders, then pull the rest of the skin off with a rope around the towbar

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Couple years back we had a summer worker. We were killing dog tuckers and he come up with the idea to use the air compressor. Seen it on youtube. So the boss said sounds good. You might as well shoot all the rams this won't take long, i went a head and shot a dozen rams. It was a freakin long afternoon i can tell you know. What ever he had seen didnt work on these rams. Never tried it again
    ANOTHERHUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Couple years back we had a summer worker. We were killing dog tuckers and he come up with the idea to use the air compressor. Seen it on youtube. So the boss said sounds good. You might as well shoot all the rams this won't take long, i went a head and shot a dozen rams. It was a freakin long afternoon i can tell you know. What ever he had seen didnt work on these rams. Never tried it again
    You need to leave them dead for a day or two before using air...casualty cows and calves/lambs/goats are not hot skinned when using air.

Four a rough job it work ok but you need something for the carcass to fall on or else it gets dirty. Also just start the skin with the ears attached and you don't need a golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    That's how they do the dead calves for processing isn't it?
    Just dont over inflate or it gets a little messy. Over at Wallace's it was the rookies job to inflate, pretty sure everyone blew one up at least once, you can imagine the state of some of those dead calves....