Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Puddleduk

Thread: Small inflatable / outboard

Small inflatable / outboard

Hi Guys, a young mate was luck enough to draw Catseye block for second period 2021, He and his mate are taking the northern part of block, and have been told that a small roll up inflatable / outboard will enable them to travel up catseye creek a fair way. Any info on this would be appreciated. So they are looking to buy a small roll up inflatable (maybe 2.4-3m) and a small outboard, 5hp max to take in chopper, Boat outboard could be picked up in Christchurch weekend of 27th 28th of Feb, or anytime between now and fly in in Te Anau area. Any thoughts?

Gidday - I've got a 5HP Honda 4S that they could borrow ex Invercargill if that helped . . . .

Thanks for your kind offer Tentman, but the lads are keen to buy a rig for future trips

On a soft bottom inflatable 2.4mtr (typical size) a 5hp will be overkill and just fold it up.
    As long as you don't have any significant current a 2.2 - 3.3 up will be enough.

NB we have a RIB alloy bottom and 1 up the 3.3hp up will give 10knots but 2-4 people and you don't have enough power to plan, and any speed over 4-5 knots just makes everyone wet so you are almost never over 1/3- 1/2 revs.
    Z

Thanks ZQLewis, good thoughts. They really need one with a sectional ply or ali floor that can still be broken down to go in chopper

Hunted there and to be honest the boat we took wasn't really any advantage. We timed our travel upriver on the low tides etc. There is good trails to follow upriver on the true left. The river is shallow on low tide and easily crossed.
    ZQLewis likes this.

Might be of value...

I’ve had one of the nifty inflatables with a 4hp 2 stroke. Inflatable floor not slat floor but surprisingly capable little craft for one or two guys and gear. Bloody quick with myself and fishing gear. Punched out through small surf no trouble.
    Roll up to a suitcase size (30kg), pretty good value new and the construction was good.

thanks for your thoughts, have passed onto young mate, how did you find that block Puddleduk? My young mate and his hunting partner have got the northern part of block, and two other hunters in the Bull creek side

I'd go back, I was a bit surprised at some of the good wapiti blood in there but I doubt a good bull could grow a good head.. The good tucker was honed out of there in the 70's buy the looks of it. Doesn't stop a bull going there for the rut from elsewhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by deer4u View Post
    Hi Guys, a young mate was luck enough to draw Catseye block for second period 2021, He and his mate are taking the northern part of block, and have been told that a small roll up inflatable / outboard will enable them to travel up catseye creek a fair way. Any info on this would be appreciated. So they are looking to buy a small roll up inflatable (maybe 2.4-3m) and a small outboard, 5hp max to take in chopper, Boat outboard could be picked up in Christchurch weekend of 27th 28th of Feb, or anytime between now and fly in in Te Anau area. Any thoughts?
    Just put 10 hrs on my new rig that all goes behind the rear seat of my SUV..... Takacat 340XL/Suzuki 6 HP four stroke.