Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: So when is a rifle too heavy?

sneakywaza I got

So when is a rifle too heavy?

Had a guy interested in the Model 70 Winchester Extreme in the Bell and Carlson stock I'm selling, was all keen but decided it was too heavy, until then I had not considered it's weight, so what is typically a max weight most are finding acceptable as a general carry?

Most rifles I have had for hunting have been in the 7.5 to 8lb range complete, occasionally heavier in bigger calibers, always carried in the hand, never slung.
    Dusty Fog likes this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Depends on how far you'll having to carry it lol

My first centre fire weighted nearly 11lb with it's bloody bi pod & I carried it high'n'low, now days my mountain rifle weighs well under 7lb & my 338 Edge weighs 9.75lb.

So for a general alround hunting gun, yes 8lb is plenty 8.5 - 9 with a suppressor max, balance & how nice it is to carry also comes into the equation though.
    ARdave likes this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Depends on the individual and typical use I guess. I had a varmint 204 that was 10lb bare, I'm solid enough to carry it around but the weight was annoying enough to often make me take something else instead. So I sold it for a 7lb 223 which shoots just as well.

Most of my rifles now are around 7lb bare and that doesn't worry me, but I can see the appeal of a lightweight setup for trips with more walking/less shooting and big height gains etc.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 01-02-2017 at 11:20 PM.

How much is the 50 @Kiwi Greg? be about max for tops hunting with no chopper aye

northdude
    How long is a piece of string

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    How long is a piece of string
    Double the distance from the middle to the end

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Rifle weight is very much like coffee. To put clarity around this statement, there is no such thing as strong coffee, only weak men. Therefor there is no such thing as a heavy rifle, ....... Check out Philipo's post. He has reduced his rifle weight by four pounds..... Fuck me dead, who can't carry four fucking pounds? Not picking on you Philipo, just using the example you gave to make a point. I have no trouble with people that want to lighten their kit but if a man wants to carry a heavy rifle, good for him I reckon.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    7.5-9lb would be acceptable, surely? I have kept my rifle weights down of late coz I carry the extra on my hips these days

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    7.5-9lb would be acceptable, surely? I have kept my rifle weights down of late coz I carry the extra on my hips these days
    +1 but that's my reason for not worrying about about the rifle weight... Got plenty more to lose round he waist before I think lightweight gear.

Horses for courses, if your doing lots of climbing light as possible, if your only walking a few mins from the truck and sitting who cares if your carrying a cannon. Another consideration is if you do shoot something what do you do with it? Carry it out whole or put it in your pack. Had a few trips home juggling whole deer, pack and rifle!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    +1 but that's my reason for not worrying about about the rifle weight... Got plenty more to lose round he waist before I think lightweight gear.

Horses for courses, if your doing lots of climbing light as possible, if your only walking a few mins from the truck and sitting who cares if your carrying a cannon. Another consideration is if you do shoot something what do you do with it? Carry it out whole or put it in your pack. Had a few trips home juggling whole deer, pack and rifle!
    I seem to use the light weight rifle from the truck and carry the big'un if I'm walking. I find all the assistance I can get to push the cleats of my boots into the ground the less I slide.
    Micky Duck and Solo like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

When you chuck it into the leatherwood
    Blaser, ARdave, BRADS and 1 others like this.

On long walks and big trips into the back country you wouldn't wanna be much over 9 lbs I reckon, weighted rifles are easier to shoot steady.
    Last edited by kiwigreen; 02-02-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Personal preference really, I have a .260 MT rifle 5 lbs 2oz, great to carry, prick to shoot well,
    Have been getting rid, of all rifles scoped, over 9 lbs, with only two exceptions, my sako 6ppc target rifle, and a M70 Ew in .264, my long range rig, sits at 9lbs 4 oz, not too bad, but its noticeable how weary, a guy gets, after a full day lugging it around, esp if fighting threw scrub and bush.
    My preference is about 7-7.5lbs, 3-3.3kg, best comprise for shootabilty, esp. off hand. as long as well balanced.

northdude
    Or they go and want a light weight rifle and then want to put a gay stock pack on it wtf
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    I do not weigh my rifles. I just think does the weight justify its purpose. Even for the same gun it may serve a different purpose for different person.

I think the issue can be broken down to individual components:
    1. do you need a long barrel for 300m+ shots, or just a short one for >100m shots?
    2. do you need a bull barrel twice the weight as a sporting barrel?
    3. do you need a 600g suppressor?
    4. do you need a weight fancy wooden stock?
    5. do you need a big 6-24 x 50 scope? or will a 3-9 x 40 be sufficient?
    6. do you need a 223, or 308, or 338?

In the end of the day, you need what you need. and if what you need weighs X, you will just have to put up with it. But what one should do is to avoid having to carry more than is needed.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.