Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Solo trip - Tararuas

Solo trip - Tararuas

Hi Guys

Just some of what I recall from the trip..

Basically my first trip in that area so was more like exploring the options..
    Plans got bit changed as of friday evening as some visitors poped in from Auckland.. Visitors on friday means they will be in for Kava.. (Fijian traditional drink) so I called 2 of my regulars to join in for the kava session.. this went on till quite late so oviuosly i was not going to make it to site at first light.. i also seemed to be developing sinus and was feeling bit sick..

Woke up around 10am on Saturday and had breakfast. All my stuff was packed up and all I had to do was get my rifle out of the safe and get all the gears in the car.

Left home around 11am and reached carpark around 12pm. This was my first time in their so I basically didnt know which track to take.. there was 2 - 3 tracks that were going in from where I had parked. I knew this would be the case that is why my initial plan to come in early was to check the tracks and then come back for the camping stuff in the car later.. Now since I was already late I had to take my stuff as there would be no time coming back for it.

I chose one of the tracks that looked to be going in the direction of the river as my plans was to walk up the river and check out the re generating bushes.. I walked up about 2km up the river and found a good camping spot.. decision to make camp there was taken.. also i didnt want to carry all the camping gear up to deep as it would be a trouble getting all back if i managed to score a animal.

Camp setup, had a bit of rest than went out to check a near by area.. it was a pine forest patch that I thought would be worth checking before I moved further up the river. there was some good clearings around the pine boundaries but no animal signs. I thought may be it was too close as I was just about 2 - 3 km from the entrance.

Came back to camp, grabed a quick snack and had a smoko break.. than I started walking up the river to check out.. really got pissed after working a little up from the campsite.. came to swim hole that did not have any way to pass it from either side. the only way up was to swim across it. I didnt much like the idea of doing that specially for the next morning b4 light..

This was the turning point of the trip.. kind of f**kd up.. I couldnt go further up and looking in the clearings I already checked out in the pine would be fruitless as I had not seen even the slightest of the signs.. to further this it was quite in late in the afternoon and packing up and moving back to the carpark to check another track was not sounding very good option. So i just made my mind to the fact that I can just explore and have a good time while am there..

Next morning woke up at first light and went back to the pine patch to have a look.. was hoping to atleast see a bunny or rabbit to burst but no luck again.. the place was dead as..

so after a hour o 2 walk around came back to camp, had breakfast and packed up.. reached carpark around 10am. loaded everything in the car and just with a small backpack with ammo and knife I walked up another track with the rifle.. the track had a steady climb for about an hr before decending to the river further up till where I had managed to reach the previous day.. I knew I had taken the wrong track yesterday when I came in.. Had I taken this track earlier it would have been a totally different story..

I reached the river bed after about 1 and half hours walk.. this is where I should have camped the night before and sure enough I would have spooked on a deer at first light, but anyways it was kind of late to ponder on that now.. I walked up further up the river and now I could visibly see signs of animal around.. since it was about mid day I knew I wasnt going to see any deer.. it was already getting late and I needed to head back as it would be a long work back to the car park..

Finally reached the car park in the mid afternoon and recalling all drove back towards home.. All in all out it was a great walk, a good adventure and a new learning experience.. Left a note for the deers in there to watch out for their ass when I walk back in there again fairly soon... lol

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  1.13 MB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  1,020.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1910
Size:  1.14 MB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  1.03 MB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  1.19 MB
    veitnamcam, Toby, kiwi39 and 4 others like this.

Good stuff man.! Atleast you are getting out there and enjoying your self!

Cheers for the report. Sounds like a bit of forward planning wouldn't go astray there mate. Before a trip use as many resources as you can, doc website, topomaps, google earth, wams.co.nz etc. Suss out a planned route, what tracks you intend to use, where you plan to head, when you're expected out etc before heading into the bush. Then let someone know these plans! If you hurt yourself and can't walk out, and no one knows what track you took, you're up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Hunt in with your pack on, take your gear with you and camp on the go, ie find somewhere where the animals are while hunting and set up. This kills all of your downtime, maximising time on the hill looking for animals. Take a headlamp, map, compass and GPS with spare batteries to ensure you can find your way back to the camp in the dark should you get caught out.

Get off the tracks. Use them for easy access, but if they're popular it is highly unlikely you will bump into animals on them. Similarly with rivers, especially ones that get fished often. While you might see an animal, it won't be where the larger population is, and what's there will be very wary of humans. Get a few hundred metres into the bush off the tracks and sign should pick up.

Identify a ridgeline or terrace on the map, a gully head or basin, and bee-line it for that. I've never hunted in the Tararuas, so don't know what the bush is like, or numbers of deer etc, but for example, going by your 2nd to last photo, I'd be heading up the leading ridge in the centre to gain access into that creek head, and over the top into the next watershed for a look. Alternatively up the ridge and sidling out into the country on the left, heading towards the far hill in the background. If there are animals in there, there'll be trails and sign for sure. If you find it, that's where you need to hunt.

The marks you have in your last photo aren't deer, it looks like hare/dog/cat type sign. Deer marks in silt or sand look like this;

Name:  blog-deer-tracks-300x205.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  deer tracks.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  49.5 KB

Good on you for getting out and about, solo trips will teach you a lot about yourself and hunting in general. Next time, take notes of things you are unsure of and post them on here. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, and many guys are quite willing to help.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Did you carry in your rifle bag mate? Looks like it in the last pic...olive green thing on the left?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Cheers for the report. Sounds like a bit of forward planning wouldn't go astray there mate. Before a trip use as many resources as you can, doc website, topomaps, google earth, wams.co.nz etc. Suss out a planned route, what tracks you intend to use, where you plan to head, when you're expected out etc before heading into the bush. Then let someone know these plans! If you hurt yourself and can't walk out, and no one knows what track you took, you're up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Hunt in with your pack on, take your gear with you and camp on the go, ie find somewhere where the animals are while hunting and set up. This kills all of your downtime, maximising time on the hill looking for animals. Take a headlamp, map, compass and GPS with spare batteries to ensure you can find your way back to the camp in the dark should you get caught out.

Get off the tracks. Use them for easy access, but if they're popular it is highly unlikely you will bump into animals on them. Similarly with rivers, especially ones that get fished often. While you might see an animal, it won't be where the larger population is, and what's there will be very wary of humans. Get a few hundred metres into the bush off the tracks and sign should pick up.

Identify a ridgeline or terrace on the map, a gully head or basin, and bee-line it for that. I've never hunted in the Tararuas, so don't know what the bush is like, or numbers of deer etc, but for example, going by your 2nd to last photo, I'd be heading up the leading ridge in the centre to gain access into that creek head, and over the top into the next watershed for a look. Alternatively up the ridge and sidling out into the country on the left, heading towards the far hill in the background. If there are animals in there, there'll be trails and sign for sure. If you find it, that's where you need to hunt.

The marks you have in your last photo aren't deer, it looks like hare/dog/cat type sign. Deer marks in silt or sand look like this;

Attachment 20829

Attachment 20830

Good on you for getting out and about, solo trips will teach you a lot about yourself and hunting in general. Next time, take notes of things you are unsure of and post them on here. There's a wealth of knowledge on here, and many guys are quite willing to help.

Thanks for the tips mate.. am new to this and your notes here are a real help for the upcoming trips that I will be making.. Have been following advice from fellow memebers here and it is sure making me improve everytime i get out there... n am sure with all this that day is not far when I will have my share of what I am heading in for...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4life View Post
    Did you carry in your rifle bag mate? Looks like it in the last pic...olive green thing on the left?
    yap thats my gun bag..

Quote Originally Posted by initiaz View Post
    Thanks for the tips mate.. am new to this and your notes here are a real help for the upcoming trips that I will be making.. Have been following advice from fellow memebers here and it is sure making me improve everytime i get out there... n am sure with all this that day is not far when I will have my share of what I am heading in for...
    We were all beginners at some point, so know what it can be like. Some of us were more lucky than others, having fathers or friends that were experienced hunters, teaching us along the way. While most "hunters" are fairly protective and on the quiet side, in my opinion sharing a bit of knowledge is easy and benefits us all one way or another.
    kiwi39 and initiaz like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Cool report bro! I like it how you left them deersies a note to 'watch out next time'!!
    initiaz likes this.

Mate, leave the gun bag in the car

Quote Originally Posted by Chop3r View Post
    Mate, leave the gun bag in the car
    I usually do that but am not very happy with my sling at the moment so I carry the gun in the gun bag until in the hunting area. I than fold it up and shove it in my back pack. It comes in handy when I have shot an animal and have to carry it back, so the gun and scope are more protected in the gun bag.. have been doing that while shooting goats so did same with deer hunt trip..

With more experience I think you find that your ideas on that one will change
    initiaz likes this.

Good on you for getting out there and giving it a nudge on your own, even after a night on the Kava.
    It is not easy learning on your own. Trust me, I know. Take the criticism with a grain of salt after all it is constructive. You won't crack this game overnight and have many more mistakes to make.
    Lose the gunbag. You don't need a sling. Keep your rifle in your hand (mine makes a great walking stick when bashing up hills) You won't shoot an animal with your rifle slung over your shoulder.
    You are 1hr from the carpark. Leave after work on Friday so you don't get caught up with the Kava and are in "the zone" 1st thing in the morning.

What did you learn equipment wise from your first solo night? Items you wish you had taken or didn't need? food? comfort? junk?

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Good on you for getting out there and giving it a nudge on your own, even after a night on the Kava.
    It is not easy learning on your own. Trust me, I know. Take the criticism with a grain of salt after all it is constructive. You won't crack this game overnight and have many more mistakes to make.
    Lose the gunbag. You don't need a sling. Keep your rifle in your hand (mine makes a great walking stick when bashing up hills) You won't shoot an animal with your rifle slung over your shoulder.
    You are 1hr from the carpark. Leave after work on Friday so you don't get caught up with the Kava and are in "the zone" 1st thing in the morning.

What did you learn equipment wise from your first solo night? Items you wish you had taken or didn't need? food? comfort? junk?

Thanks @sako75

I learnt quite a bit on what to carry.. I had taken some unnecessary equipment which i didnt use and was just a waste of carry. Here is what I took and what I realized I shouldnt have taken:

1. my tent - its 2 person tent and wraps up into a small case which is very easy to carry.. will keep it on my all other trips (important)
    2. sleeping bag
    3. warm baby blanket
    4. portable cooker with gas cans
    5. double size 10mm comfy mat
    6. small pot
    7. gun bag

I will not need the cooker and the gas cans as i dont need tat, easy and better to make a fire place.. saves time, carry and space in bag
    I should take either sleeping bag or the blanket.. i used the blanket but not the sleeping bag.. so will chose on either depending on weather season.. in summer no need for sleeping bag i guess

I need to cut up the double mat into 2 single size mat so that I just take a single piece as thats all i need to lay down on comfortably.. the other half can go if someone is going with me so he can carry that..

will still take the pot for tea as that's the best thing i like drinking when out there..

will leave the gun bag in the car from here on..

So now here is what am taking for my next over nighter:

1. tent
    2. single comfy mat
    3. sleeping bag
    4. pot
    5. spare set of warm cloths n socks

This should fit well in 1/2 of camping back pack with enough space left to carry meat packed in garbage bag..

In food i take canned stuff mostly, bread, butter, and some snacks.. (tea bags & sugar)

Let me know what you think about this.. any suggestions are most welcome as thats what am waiting to hear, learn n xperience

I wouldnt leave out the cooker as a matter of course, it can be very hard to get a fire going sometimes (usually when you need one most) tho not so much a problem at this time of year however bush fires and fire bans are.
    Shaneo, BRADS and thomas like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Initiaz, use old pillow slips for meat, not plastic garbage bag.

Keep doing what you're doing, maybe earlier starts repeat for several Tararua road ends, learn the area and you will soon have several likely spots.

Try to go at least 2-3 hours in, less people. Once you get to the hunting area, get off the track, move into the wind and go SLOWLY.

The red deer book by Saxton &. Lentle from local library is good, also try to get Spot X hunting book.

Canned food is very heavy. Nuts, cheese, salami etc are all good protein snacks.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute