Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Som tips and ideas...

Som tips and ideas...

I’m just an average hunter. But I’ve learned a few things over the last 50 years of hunting deer. The last three hunts over consecutive weekends have illustrated that I have managed to retain at least a bit information from over the years. So I will share how I planned the hunts and what I did.

The first hunt was Anniversary Saturday. I have learned that after every southerly there is a nice calm eye of good weather in behind it. So I timed the hunt for that. I also know that stags feed up at this time of the year, so I targeted a good feed area next to good cover. I was there at first light, having walked in in the dark. Because I know the area, I hunted according to the wind. Because I’m meticulous about sighting in, practice and ranging, the shot I took at 350 yards was relatively simple. I hade closed the distance on the spiker from 550yd (I had glassed for an hour before I saw him and his mate in the open scrubby feed area…they had been there all the time…patience is a virtue). I found a good rest in the bush over a log, and used my pack on top of it for a molded shooting platform. I would rather take a longer shot with a good rest, than a closer one with a poor rest)

At first, I thought they were a hind and a spiker. So when at my shooting log I could only see a spiker I assumed the hind (who looked a bit edgy) had departed. After the shot, I saw a spiker depart the scene, and thought “bugger, I missed”. But I knew better than to walk away and stick to my assumption, so I took the dog over for a look. Sure enough, she found a dead spiker. So the second one was a spiker, not a hind. Always check out your assumptions.

I have also done the leg work in sussing out a variety of places to hunt. So I can hunt different places according to the seasons. Where the deer are now, for instance, is seldom where they are during the roar. These are both public and private blocks. I never pay for hunting, and I never give cockies’ gifts. I’m either allowed on the property or not.

Two days later, Brian and I were at a different spot. It was a sou-easter and perfect for where we were going. Deer like to come out of the bush onto the feed areas into breeze (not a strong wind). If the grass is moist, even better. They like dressing on their salad. There was an ever so slight drizzle. Perfect. 9 deer came out, and we shot one.

Last night, same place. Different spot. I wanted to have a go for a stag. This meant I needed to find a safe area for them and some tucker. So I chose a bush block with patches of grass. Secluded. I moved in quite close, because it was likely a stag would come out later than the meat animals from the last two trips. Right on dark 2 stags walked into a clearing. My ‘scope was on 6 power rather 12, because the lower power gather more light.

One was an 8, and the other a spindly spiker sort of thing. The 8 was nice with potential, so I lined up the spindly one. I aimed in behind the shoulder because its softer there, and I only had the .243. I was laying down with a bipod and pack under the butt. It was easy. The stag ran, like they do with lung shots. He was dead 80 yards away.

For some reason I couldn’t add anything else? maybe because it has a nonsense filter?

Anyway, maybe this has helped, maybe not. But at the very least, I hope you are still hunting at 66 and can look back (and forward) with pleasure like I can.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    For some reason I couldn’t add anything else? maybe because it has a nonsense filter?

Anyway, maybe this has helped, maybe not. But at the very least, I hope you are still hunting at 66 and can look back (and forward) with pleasure like I can.

Cheers

I certainly hope to!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Fantastic, thanks for taking the time to share. Lots of wee gems in there.

Strongly agree with:
    I would rather take a longer shot with a good rest, than a closer one with a poor rest

Have been considering writing up something similar, on my spotlighting setup and chasing roos..

Always look forward to your posts. Thanks

Please disregard the part in Tahr's post about not bearing gifts when visiting me.
    ishoot10s, Toby and BRADS like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I must come back bearing gifts Spook!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Please disregard the part in Tahr's post about not bearing gifts when visiting me.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I must come back bearing gifts Spook!
    You did well with the wheat beer mate...nice drop
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on ya Tahr.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

....thanks

Just question on the second deer you shot. Was it you or Brian that shot it??

Yes very good info there, sometimes it takes 2-3 trips to the same spot to cross reference these "ideals" for each spot we hunt, with the time in the field it certainly makes it easier.

Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Just question on the second deer you shot. Was it you or Brian that shot it??

Yes very good info there, sometimes it takes 2-3 trips to the same spot to cross reference these "ideals" for each spot we hunt, with the time in the field it certainly makes it easier.

Thanks for sharing
    We will never know. 2 shots sounded as one. Maybe we both hit it in the eye. Its certain that one of us did. We are happy with a draw.

Sharing good times with a mate, not arguing over naming rights. I like that

Its worth adding though, that I was the one with the camera. So as soon as Brian turned his back for a pee (as us older gentlemen often do), I threw my rifle over the deer and took a pic before he noticed.
    Dundee, gadgetman, GWH and 2 others like this.