Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 17 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By charliehorse
  • 3 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Nathan F

Thread: Some photos of dead deer

Some photos of dead deer

It's been a couple of months since getting out for a proper hunt, so with the weather forecast looking good and a mate who'd not shot himself a deer in a couple of years, we headed out to try and rectify that.

We hoped it'd be empty, but the car park had a few vehicles in it already which indicated the hutt was probably full. So we opted to get a few hours sleep in the car before starting the walk in the dark. Or not so dark as it turned out... Crystal clear night with a full moon meant we didn't need head torches. We allowed plenty of time to get into position and even bumped into a pig and a deer along the track.

We got up high and stopped short of the final position, waiting for the sun to start rising before sidling around as quietly as we could. The crunchy ground betrayed us though and a hind must have heard us. We dropped down as it barked and I spotted her immediately only 150m below us. My mate got his rifle ready but didn't quite feel comfortable with the low light, the angle, and the pack he was shooting off of, so I lined up with my 300wsm instead. The deer barked again and my rifle barked back. It leapt and ran full tilt towards a gulley, but we were confident of a solid hit.

Just as we were done sorting our gear out from the kerfuffle, another deer barked. This time 200m around to our left. My mate quickly lined up off of his pack... fired... and the deer just stood there. Fired again... The deer ran 10 metres and stopped, seemingly unhurt. Unsure of what was going wrong, I lined up with the wsm once more and fired a 2nd time. The deer fell on the spot and tumbled downhill.

The 2nd deer was easy to find but it took a while to locate the 1st. We thought it must have run some distance and likely reached the gulley. Working backwards from there, it turned out to only be 35-40m from where it was shot and had nosedived HARD into the ground once it ran out of steam. 178 ELD-X had done a fantastic job on both.

Deer 1
    Name:  20210724_103746.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  9.00 MB

Deer 2
    Name:  signal-2021-07-25-121216.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  1.28 MB

So onto butchering before a nice long slog back to the car, with a mate a bit dark about passing up shot 1 and missing shots 2 and 3, but with a deer for the freezer nonetheless
    Nathan F, Trout, tikka and 14 others like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Nice. Good thinking, a wee bit of work, and results.
    Pommy likes this.

Dead deer pics are good. Did your mate connect with any of is 2 shots?
    Nathan F, Trout and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Dead deer pics are good. Did your mate connect with any of is 2 shots?
    We think he may have clipped a shrub 5m in front of the muzzle. Deer 2 had two obvious holes in it - one entry and one exit. The was small nick on the spine but the shape makes us think it was from the tumble.

You'll have to get him back out to break that drought
    piwakawaka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    You'll have to get him back out to break that drought
    That's the plan. I've seen him shoot wallabies at much greater ranges, so it's not for a lack of ability. Just confidence and calm needed to avoid simple mistakes and stick to fundamentals.

He'll smack one over soon enough.
    Trout, Micky Duck and charliehorse like this.

Good stuff. That’s what the forums for.
    Pommy likes this.

Nice work plenty of meat for both you .

Practice more hunting,enjoy the veni..