Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Gerardo
  • 1 Post By Hunter3030

Thread: Some South Canterbury hunting advice

Some South Canterbury hunting advice

Hi all... I know hunting spots is usually secret info, but if someone could point me in the right direction where I could take my god son wallaby and goat shooting? He's only going and just getting into it so somewhere that's not too tough to get to. I hear south canty is the place to go. A PM would be great if someone didn't want to share to everyone.
    Thank you

goats will be problamatic....few and far between and mostly on private land...wallabies is easy...pick DOC controlled land between waitaki river and the opihi..... drive to area then WALK at least an hour.....you should now be past where every man and his dogs go and into some reasonable numbers of not so spooky wobblies...... be at road end by 5AM at this time of year,or stay out till 9;30PM they are nocternal afterall.....shot 15 with mate on Sunday by kicking them out of tussocky scrub and then shooting fast..... sitting glassing then sniping them off works well.

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    goats will be problamatic....few and far between and mostly on private land...wallabies is easy...pick DOC controlled land between waitaki river and the opihi..... drive to area then WALK at least an hour.....you should now be past where every man and his dogs go and into some reasonable numbers of not so spooky wobblies...... be at road end by 5AM at this time of year,or stay out till 9;30PM they are nocternal afterall.....shot 15 with mate on Sunday by kicking them out of tussocky scrub and then shooting fast..... sitting glassing then sniping them off works well.
    Thank you 👍
    Micky Duck likes this.

You don't have to walk far if you want to bowl a few. 5 mins from the car near Waimate, you'll get onto them. PM me if you want more info

At home here I can sit on the porch and play hide and seek with them. Unfortunately they are a big NO NO here being native to this hot burning land. They are eating everything that is green, Pig Face, Aloe Vera is now down to ground level, Grass, we water it, they eat it. I have not started the lawn mowers for more than two years. Saves on fuel I suppose.

They are inquisitive, when spooked don't go far, At least our ones don't. We have so many sub species and many are protected. Mind you doesn't stop me and the wife getting a few when they try to take on the car and ute. They really do some damage.

Hope you and the young fella have a ball. Good species to learn on.
    Jaco Goosen likes this.