Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 2 Post By mikee

Thread: South island beginner hunting?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,176

    South island beginner hunting?

    I am hoping to visit my brother who lives in Christchurch. Once to actually see him and another just to bugger off.

    Could anyone point me in the right direction for a weekend trip? Never done any mountaineering so not so keen on anything too much.

    Cheers.

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,475
    Arthurs Pass would be good, but a few vehicles getting broken in to. Will be a bit of snow on the tops now.
    TianBotha likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    6,066
    kowhai river, kaikoura if you want pig/goat

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,176
    Cheers fellas. I will see about getting dropped off by my brother if he's bought a car yet. Bloody luddite.

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,004
    Youl likely need to upgrade the north of Bombay cloths to Antarctic gear if your heading south , shes pretty fresh at the mo, we are not getting the worst of it sounds pretty ruff further north , you should try & target a cham or Tahr seen as how there arnt any in the Nth island .
    veitnamcam likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Youl likely need to upgrade the north of Bombay cloths to Antarctic gear if your heading south , shes pretty fresh at the mo, we are not getting the worst of it sounds pretty ruff further north , you should try & target a cham or Tahr seen as how there arnt any in the Nth island .
    What sort of level of clothing do you reckon? Down puffer jacket? Polar fleece and thermals.?

    Hoping to see either thar or chamois.

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member Danny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central NI
    Posts
    3,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    What sort of level of clothing do you reckon? Down puffer jacket? Polar fleece and thermals.?

    Hoping to see either thar or chamois.

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Iím a soft prick so Iíd suggest youíll need a bit of everything.
    Warm under-layers and outer shell for wind and or rain. And your feet, donít forget the FEET!
    Good luck, be safe.
    DM.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North island
    Posts
    986
    @Russian 22. the further you go south the more hut chicks you will come across and the less clothing will be needed

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North island
    Posts
    986
    @Russian 22. the further you go south the more hut chicks you will come across and the less clothing will be needed

  10. #10
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,192
    I would suggest finding a forum member who might assist you (take you for a hunt) as the Southern Alps in winter are not to be taken lightly at all
    Boaraxa and Sideshow like this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Iím a soft prick so Iíd suggest youíll need a bit of everything.
    Warm under-layers and outer shell for wind and or rain. And your feet, donít forget the FEET!
    Good luck, be safe.
    DM.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair enough. I will ask a few mates and see what their advice is on a good setup.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @Russian 22. the further you go south the more hut chicks you will come across and the less clothing will be needed
    So au natural aye?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I would suggest finding a forum member who might assist you (take you for a hunt) as the Southern Alps in winter are not to be taken lightly at all
    Thanks. I will have a gander and see if anyone is keen.

    Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Hunting Pre-Roar South Island Reds
    By Philipo in forum Hunting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29-01-2018, 08:33 PM
  2. Tent Options for North Island and South Island Tops.
    By JRW87 in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2015, 09:10 PM
  3. south island hunting trip pictures
    By dale in forum Photography and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2014, 06:30 PM
  4. Advice on hunting the South Island
    By silverfox22273 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-05-2012, 12:41 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 10:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!