Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Spot lighting deer

Spot lighting deer

I'll watch what I say here , but I want to know what the census is on it . The obvious safety issues have been brought to light lately with two people being mistaken for deer. Is this reason enough not to spotlight ? . In all reality we all hunt the roar knowing the risks and every year there are incidents . I'm not talking about lighting off the roads or tracks or shooting at eyes that shit is just crazy . But lighting flats and bush edges on foot . What's your thoughts ?

private property no problems, public land; you'd have to be a moron.
    falconhell and RimfireNZ like this.

R93
    I still smack them over in the light when I need/want too. I love getting out for a look around when I cant sleep.
    Although you're apparently inferior to other hunters that dont ever use a light. It is just shooting to them. But how do they know what its about if they never do it?
    That would make sence if you only ever hunted at night and would probably be the opinion of holier than thou plonkers that have had no mates to ever take them spotlighting and that have only shot a handful of deer in their lives anyway.
    Who cares what others think Munsey as long as it is legal and safe, go for it. Those are my opinions yet I keenly await the hail of abuse
    Last edited by R93; 17-07-2012 at 12:15 AM.

I NEVER do it. This photo just appeared in my camera on Saturday night...

I personally don't have a problem with it as long as it is done on private land and you know the area.

It is not hunting to me, but it is a relatively easy way to get a meat animal.
    Last edited by Raging Bull; 17-07-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Great way to put some meat in the freezer,but its not hunting its shooting.

I have no problem with it done properly on private property, you could argue its safer than shooting a deer in the bush in daylight.

One thing that irks me is round here the amount of people that say "went hunting last night got 3" when clearly they were not hunting.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    So if spotlighting is just shooting. What is sitting in wait near a slip or clearing or waiting in a tree stand for unsuspecting game to walk into range?
    Kiwi Greg and ARdave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    So if spotlighting is just shooting. What is sitting in wait near a slip or clearing or waiting in a tree stand for unsuspecting game to walk into range?
    Ambush?
    Barefoot and Dougie like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

I don't do it for fun, for work once or twice. I dont like the idea. I actually like the hunting aspect of hunting. People say its an easy way to get meat, but I don't really have that problem with normal day time hunting.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Ambush?
    Na, an ambush requires at least a good lead/site. 2 cutoff groups, a killer group a bank of interlocking claymores. 2 gpmgs providing grazing and onfilade fire and a form of indirect fire support to cutoff any escape routes. Oh and a couple of warthogs in circut is an advantage

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Na, an ambush requires at least a good lead/site. 2 cutoff groups, a killer group a bank of interlocking claymores. 2 gpmgs providing grazing and onfilade fire and a form of indirect fire support to cutoff any escape routes. Oh and a couple of warthogs in circut is an advantage
    In my day I just had a bunch of NOGS usually asleep in their hammocs,and could call up a couple of Cobras if things went noisey during the day.(claymores are good)most nights Snoopy was stooging around
    imagine that on a slip,slice,dice,mince and seared
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

R93
    Imagine chewing into a bit of claymore shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    I NEVER do it. This photo just appeared in my camera on Saturday night...
    One of the safe ones...?

I shot a Sambar hind on Saturday night from a grand total of 25 yards max. Personally, it didn't feel like much of a challenge and almost felt to easy. However, we were out there for an easy meat animal - mission accomplished.

Might as well put a photo up to show her size - we reckon she would have easily gone 150+ kg. (I'm 6'1 and 85ish kg).

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    we were out there for an easy meat animal - mission accomplished.
    that's a whole lotta meat.....

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Great way to put some meat in the freezer,but its not hunting its shooting.

I have no problem with it done properly on private property, you could argue its safer than shooting a deer in the bush in daylight.

One thing that irks me is round here the amount of people that say "went hunting last night got 3" when clearly they were not hunting.
    Thats just bollocks..

You are quite entitled to attach more value to one form of hunting over another, but don't start redefining the english language to sort your personal standards..

Hunting is the looking for and the pursuit of game animals... got nothing to do with the methodology employed..

You can do that without a gun, with, with a bow, with a camera, with a spotlight in a truck or not...

You could say that spotlighting is not ethical hunting in your opinion, or is lazy hunting, or it might be illegal hunting - but its still hunting..
    Pointer, Savage1, Rich007 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    One of the safe ones...?
    Yes, but not for long if the pricks keep eating the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by SIKAHUNTER View Post
    that's a whole lotta meat.....
    Just a bit.