Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Spotlighting

Spotlighting

So I've started doing pet food with bunnies and hares and am going to set up a rig for spotlighting. Just wanted to know what you guys are using and what not to use. It's been years since I did a lot of lighting and the techs come along way. Is hid better? I know it's brighter and cooler but from my minimal experience with them I found they didn't hold animals in the light like halogens. I have 2 maxtoch snipers for scope mounts and was thinking to do a roof mounted big light on one of those Lightforce remote systems
    Anyway what are you guys using . Cheers Chris.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2X DD for locating . M24 hot rod for top of rifle. Lightforce are only good for quad work.

I was out at a mates farm, last weekend, he had a new led spotlight, about 170mm, (think its a Night Saber) same size as my lightforce striker 170, I thought my light force was ok, but the bright white led light, pisses all over it,
    I would go for LED or HID, the old style filament bulbs are a long way down in light capability over the new LED and HID, HID spotlights, can be a bit heavy,
    Led, use less power, so great for a separate battery.

I will try get some details on my dad's setup for you @Cartman he shoots for a living, bit of shooting from a chopper but a lot of night work. He has a spotlight that's mounted on his helmet but I'm not sure of the details on it, I know he did a lot of mucking around to get it all setup properly so he can shoot using a scoped rifle without getting any glare or having to have his head in silly positions.
    Cartman likes this.

haven't done it for years but set up we used was VERY VERY efficient
    roof mounted light with T bar handle inside
    shooter found bunny then driver takes over light while shooter gets behind rifle ready to shoot when driver stops
    driver stops with bunny in segment of windscreen predetermined eg middle of wiper blade 1/4 way up screen
    shooter will have bunny in scope and needs minimal movement for final adjustment before squeezing off shot.
    mate n I headshot 470 one night from brick of power point.....hell of a night and one out of bag,all retrieved and gutted.
    Cartman likes this.