Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Spotting scope phone adapter

Spotting scope phone adapter

Dose anyone use a spotting scope phone adapter? are any of them good?

Yes, and no.

Or to put it another way, no and yes.

I've tried a couple of different options but found them all very frustrating and I'm damned if I can get them to work like the guys on TV. What I have noticed is you really cant use them with any kind of phone case fitted and it's just way to hard to remove your phone case every 5 minutes to take a photo. If I had a 3D printer Id make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Yes, and no.

Or to put it another way, no and yes.

I've tried a couple of different options but found them all very frustrating and I'm damned if I can get them to work like the guys on TV. What I have noticed is you really cant use them with any kind of phone case fitted and it's just way to hard to remove your phone case every 5 minutes to take a photo. If I had a 3D printer Id make my own.
    Design one and ask if anyone does, I don't but know of a couple of printers I might have access to.

My son used an Aliexpress adapter about 6 years ago seemed to work but as aid without phone case.

They can work very well, as testified to by the many amazing pics and videos on the interweb. My very limited experience has been they are finicky and frustrating things to use and as such I would advise against them, especially for any shot you will regret missing, such as a hunt. Rather, think of the other way round option - a hyperzoom compact digital camera and a stable tripod, and use that as a spotter - works far better for recording and depending on your needs, may be good enough as a spotter. Life is all about trade offs though.

Cameraman Dave
    They've been game changers for us. Early models were a little finicky to get right, and if you've got a big phone like one of the iPhone PLUS models, the weight can make it hard for the camera to sit squarely on the eyepiece, but we've had a lot of success with the newer versions that we use with our main Leupold Santiam spotter. On a still day, the images from the phone are often better than what I can film with my massive zoom lens -
    Name:  BIG CAMERA.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  25.5 KB
    Micky Duck, Jake77 and HarryMax like this.

What make/model are you using? I have a vortex Razor I’m thinking to get 1 for…

I've used a Phoneskope on my Samsung s10 for what feels like a few years now. Highly recommend

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    I've used a Phoneskope on my Samsung s10 for what feels like a few years now. Highly recommend
    Me too. It works well for video and stills. Avoid buying something cheaper that is generic and fits a number of scopes via adjustment. The Phoneskope are much better.

Jus
    You can get a 30 dollar budget one that’s universal, adjustable eye piece and adjustable phone holder. They are finicky but the work, takes a couple hours practice at home and then it’s fairly easy and quick in the field. It’s not ideal and a lot more work than what the guys on tv make it look like but it works for me and saves eye fatigue
    Micky Duck likes this.

Anyone tried these adaptors? Looks like they work with a case on your phone

https://scopecamadapter.com/

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk

I've just got one of these last week, works fine on binoculars

https://www.trademe.co.nz/4217221279

Obviously there is optical stuff on the web but what is the best of the best?

Meaning what is the best digi scoping combo long range still and video images that are top notch?

Perhaps someone like the BBC has a very, very, long range optical set up they are keeping a secret?

However congratulations cameraman Dave on what you produce.
    The Hunters Club likes this.

as others have said phone skope adapter lives on spotter and my phone Skope case stays on my phone for the duration of the trip it literally locks in ready to go in about 5 seconds

Not the flashest but very cheap and functions perfectly. 40mm end cap, hole in the centre, ados’d to an old phone case (that had a front cover that I ripped off, hence the sand marks to get rid of the glue) tape on the end cap helps align the phone camera with the spotting scope.

Name:  96AA2B67-D413-4FFA-BF3F-1C6EF7D074A5.jpeg
Views: 953
Size:  3.29 MB
    Micky Duck and Billbob like this.