Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Stewart Island trip - November 2022

Stewart Island trip - November 2022

Hi, we have a trip to the Island booked to hunt/fish at the North Tikotitahi block from 06 Nov 2022 to 13 Nov 2022. In the interest of saving a few dollars would anyone else like to share a ferry on those dates - maybe book a block close by, or be travelling to other blocks on either of the dates, so the cost of ferrys/fishing boats be shared amongst a greater number of people. I have yet to sort out the best way to get to our block, so thought I would ask here first for any interest in sharing the trips.

Welcome to the forum.
    tetawa likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

@arrow123 welcome to the forum.

Have a hunt around on the search engine here there are plenty of tips form the island. What to take etc also plenty of how to get to blocks. Who to use. Good luck have you been before?

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....d=21383714&pp=

Have a look through these pages.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I went a loooooong time ago with a group of mates to South Glory and North Glory and loved it. That was the days before hunter huts etc. Thanks for the hints on gear and how to get to blocks. I know I have a lot to organise and thought sharing a ride may make it cheaper for everyone. I have a few keen on fishing and a few on hunting so a good mix.

Things to take…a file for the axe and rope plus plenty of heavy duty rubbish bags to bring back the crap that is left around the hut.
    Just read back through my trip back in 2015…seems like yesterday lol.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/f17/trip-50021/
    JoshC, tamamutu and arrow123 like this.

Was heading that way earlier this year till shit happened. From memory the boat was 4K there and back from Oban
    Micky Duck and arrow123 like this.

We always use aurora charters
    arrow123 likes this.

Water taxi with boat hire plus engine and cooking stuff was not cheap either.
    Don’t have the sums to hand but for what it was himmm, next time I’d like to take my own boat block depending.
    More people is better to get the cost down.
    Or get on with a local that can drop you off…

Who wants to be picked up eh

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Water taxi with boat hire plus engine and cooking stuff was not cheap either.
    Don’t have the sums to hand but for what it was himmm, next time I’d like to take my own boat block depending.
    More people is better to get the cost down.
    Or get on with a local that can drop you off…
    I guess you know a bloke . . . . .

I see you already booked your block but the further away from halfmoon bay you get the more people you need to bring the costs down, plenty of blocks closer to town that are a short water taxi trip. Less likely to get stuck there if the weather turns nasty.
    Shearer and arrow123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I see you already booked your block but the further away from halfmoon bay you get the more people you need to bring the costs down, plenty of blocks closer to town that are a short water taxi trip. Less likely to get stuck there if the weather turns nasty.
    That could well be worth considering, the fishing guys in the party are keen on this block since its a little sheltered and they can have access both sides from the hut. I will mention it though. With it being so far away it does have appeal, but I know costs are going to be high, so am thinking of ways to spread the cost for us and for anyone else wanting to head down there.

Been to Tiko a few times, decent block. Fishing from the ocean side you don't need to go far to secure a good feed, on the south tiko / inlet side fishing tends to be a bit average unless your out the headlands and that can be pretty exposed.

I'm headed down to Lords river soon and charter operators have put their prices up due to gas. Mana used to be $4k to that area, it's now $4.4k, Aurora was $4.2k from memory, not sure what they are now.

Mana have max 8-10 persons, which may be the decider for Mana vs Aurora for you, otherwise they are much of a muchness - both offer dinghy and outboard hire, Mana is a slower / older boat. The water taxi guys in Oban don't got that far south.
    arrow123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terra View Post
    Been to Tiko a few times, decent block. Fishing from the ocean side you don't need to go far to secure a good feed, on the south tiko / inlet side fishing tends to be a bit average unless your out the headlands and that can be pretty exposed.

I'm headed down to Lords river soon and charter operators have put their prices up due to gas. Mana used to be $4k to that area, it's now $4.4k, Aurora was $4.2k from memory, not sure what they are now.

Mana have max 8-10 persons, which may be the decider for Mana vs Aurora for you, otherwise they are much of a muchness - both offer dinghy and outboard hire, Mana is a slower / older boat. The water taxi guys in Oban don't got that far south.
    Thanks for all that information. It confirms what I thought I was seeing about the water taxi guys in Oban.