Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is it still a little early to be hunting the Rivers and streams in Te Ureweras ?

Is it still a little early to be hunting the Rivers and streams in Te Ureweras ?

Hi lads and Dougie,

I just spent the last 2 of days in the Horomanga River (Ureweras) with Mucko and his 12 year old Nephew. I thought the little bugger did dam well 3-4 hr walk in and out to the hut and 47 fringing river crossings each way.

While it was just good to be in the bush again we were a little disappointed as we had individually heard great things about the Horomanga and to be honest we didn't see anything and what little sign there was was old.

The following day I was going to change plans and move up into the bush , but we decided to come out a couple of days early as the weather was due to pack in, I reckon lots of water and river crossings don't mix.

Any advice would be helpful.

P.S Mucko sorry about my nana pace on the way out but that 19 km training run the day before wasn't my smartest move in hindsight.
    mucko likes this.

I dont know the area at all but whats your elevation?
    A month ago was the first sign of a spring flush inland at around 650m elevation round here. Would expect earlier in northern lats.
    Higher up later lowerdown earlier. Coastal early inland late.

Did you see any tucker? As always deer will be were the food is.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks Veitnam , yep there looked like a bit of tucker around. Elevation was about 300-400. Ureweras is inland. I spoke to Mucko and we think that may still have been up abit eating some of the winter food still. Will try Ureweras again in November, may have better luck then.

I used to hunt minginui a fair bit and judged my first spring hunt by the oak tree behind my old place. When the leaves were full out it was time to go.
    Rang the tennant last week, there's about 3 weeks to go

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    I used to hunt minginui a fair bit and judged my first spring hunt by the oak tree behind my old place. When the leaves were full out it was time to go.
    Rang the tennant last week, there's about 3 weeks to go
    Ha ha your legend Barefoot.... I 'll be in the bush again in 3 weeks then ! You must be heading out soon for your yearly trip Barefoot?

Hey don't make it sound like I'm only let out once a year

The Big Annual freezer filler is in 3 weeks, funny that.
    Going to check out a few spots on the way home for the future.
    Will get away for a few weekend trips for next year, as as the dates get closer will let you know.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Where are you off to in 3 weeks time Barefoot?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Hey don't make it sound like I'm only let out once a year

The Big Annual freezer filler is in 3 weeks, funny that.
    Going to check out a few spots on the way home for the future.
    Will get away for a few weekend trips for next year, as as the dates get closer will let you know.

Ha Ha ! yep I am a checky bugger ! Yer keep in touch about hunting in the new year. By the way those dies worked well. Thanks!

Nothing like a power cut in the middle of dinner to throw the plans for the night out
    Anyway powers back now.
    Off to a private block down Retaruke way Rushy. A few of us go down each year for a boys weekend, with some hunting thrown in.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I think we must have been affected by the same power outage. We were out for about three hours and the Missus sent me up into the attic to get down some lamps. Good luck with the hunt trip and make sure you let us know how you get on. I have so much work on at the moment I just can't get away so am living vicariously through the posts of others.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Gday Mohawk660

Havent been into midway this year but I have done alot of hunting around that general area. Unfortunatly the horomunga gets a fair bit of attention especially coming into spring. Some of the locals 4x4 in there from the other end ( okahu valley end) and spot light it. I was laughing to myself when I read your comments only because it sounds exactly like one of my trips in there with the River rising. I lost count with the river crossings . Last time I was in there I shot a stag just upstream from the hut after the rain had stopped so they are still there. Good luck and oh yea was your car ok in the carpark or did you get dropped off? Cheers Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Boylo View Post
    Gday Mohawk660

Havent been into midway this year but I have done alot of hunting around that general area. Unfortunatly the horomunga gets a fair bit of attention especially coming into spring. Some of the locals 4x4 in there from the other end ( okahu valley end) and spot light it. I was laughing to myself when I read your comments only because it sounds exactly like one of my trips in there with the River rising. I lost count with the river crossings . Last time I was in there I shot a stag just upstream from the hut after the rain had stopped so they are still there. Good luck and oh yea was your car ok in the carpark or did you get dropped off? Cheers Steven

Yep we left the car in the car park and blow me down it was still there when we got back. We met a few locals in the hut that had come in on horse back and they thought we were crazy leaving our car there, that speaks volumes if the locals won't even leave there car there. Yep it was pretty busy in there bit like Queen Street (main street in Auckland). We heard there were other hunts further along the track and bumped into a car in his 4x4.... I have never been to a place so busy !

Pretty busy place aye. There is a spot just past Lake Aniwhenua that is pretty good for spring if you know where im talking about. I did alot of hunting in Minginui too , I think there is a little bit of the whirinaki that didnt get bombed with green rain that should be ok for a look.

deer are where u find them.... go out as much as u are able. u will see them.

If you're going for a hunt between Minginui and Ruatahuna - did you know DoC / AHB spread 1080 poison over 55,000 hectares there, finishing 30 August 2012? (don't want you driving all that way then finding a bl..dy 1080 sign 50m in from the track end as I did)