Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Sweeten up “Spot X”

Sweeten up “Spot X”

The “how can I shoot more deer” thread got me thinking -
    If you have a nice spot somewhere and you would like it to produce more deer - invest in some sweet seed
    Doesn’t matter if it is private or public land - likely you will be the only one to know where you planted it
    I used to hunt up the back of Tokomaru in the 60s and old Henry who lived up there was always happy to tell us boys where he had burnt a slip or clearing and planted some “bush burn” - a poor man’s grass/clover mixture to get land producing after it had been roughly worked over
    Those slips and clearings produced deer more consistently than others - deer are suckers for good quality tucker
    I have planted rye and clover (red and white) on plenty of slips and clearings in my favourite spots over the years - it works
    Good time of the year right now to grow seed - but don’t light fires
    308, 7mmsf and PERRISCICABA like this.

I know a top dressing pilot that use to drop the last of his fert on slips that he found productive.
    southernredneck likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

On to it Time out, i like your way of thinking!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

res
    That's very clever thinking
    Using Tapatalk

Yup I'm up for that, trip to RD1 on the to do list.

Wot about those licks you see around the place I know a few who suspend a few of those in the trees at an appropriate height? Does it work?

Caretaker
    Havnt heard of the mineral licks working

Plantain seed works good too, and with clovers and grass has grown some beautiful Sika heads for us
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Those licks are fricken heavy!!
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    The “how can I shoot more deer” thread got me thinking -
    If you have a nice spot somewhere and you would like it to produce more deer - invest in some sweet seed
    Doesn’t matter if it is private or public land - likely you will be the only one to know where you planted it
    I used to hunt up the back of Tokomaru in the 60s and old Henry who lived up there was always happy to tell us boys where he had burnt a slip or clearing and planted some “bush burn” - a poor man’s grass/clover mixture to get land producing after it had been roughly worked over
    Those slips and clearings produced deer more consistently than others - deer are suckers for good quality tucker
    I have planted rye and clover (red and white) on plenty of slips and clearings in my favourite spots over the years - it works
    Good time of the year right now to grow seed - but don’t light fires
    Its funny you should say that, because I carted up a bag of Lotus Major and biffed on what was probably one of Henry’s burns right up on the back ridge past the little ponga hut. Never saw any results and it never seemed to make a difference though. Circa 1968.

Should have been OK Tahr - maybe they chewed it out

Lotus major (Lotus uliginosus) a perennial legume, grows well in wet, acidic, infertile soils where grazing pressure is light. Lotus has also been widely sown in agroforestry situations (where forestry and agriculture are combined) because it tolerates shade and needle litter better than clovers.

We used to target No1 Creek - my mate got quite a few deer on the first big slip about ten minutes up the creek - Henry planted it with bush burn - I used to race up the creek about an hour to the forks - there was a lovely burn up there about 1km long - first time I went there the ground and logs were still black - Henry told me that he went bush for about a month after that one got away - you can still see it on Google maps - it looks like it is still grass and has never bushed over

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Those licks are fricken heavy!!
    Did you drop one on the top of the Kaimais?
    Spook posted a photo of the open tops. Saw one up there a few years ago

Nah but a few up pap hills.

Quote Originally Posted by time out View Post
    Should have been OK Tahr - maybe they chewed it out

Lotus major (Lotus uliginosus) a perennial legume, grows well in wet, acidic, infertile soils where grazing pressure is light. Lotus has also been widely sown in agroforestry situations (where forestry and agriculture are combined) because it tolerates shade and needle litter better than clovers.

We used to target No1 Creek - my mate got quite a few deer on the first big slip about ten minutes up the creek - Henry planted it with bush burn - I used to race up the creek about an hour to the forks - there was a lovely burn up there about 1km long - first time I went there the ground and logs were still black - Henry told me that he went bush for about a month after that one got away - you can still see it on Google maps - it looks like it is still grass and has never bushed over
    What was the creek with the hut in the fork? Was that #2 creek? I cant remember.
    Yeah, I chose Lotus because it seemed to be in there on some slips and in the creek anyway.

Dave McNuir and I also carted fert and seed into the Mangoira in the Ruahines. I dreamt of great herds of deer...but someone else must have got them, ‘cos I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Did you drop one on the top of the Kaimais?
    Spook posted a photo of the open tops. Saw one up there a few years ago
    Me and my uncle put one in a tree in the kaimais 2-3 years ago

I've been giving this a go and am trailing a fertiliser in one area and the use of Lime in another to see if there is any reaction animal wise .Results are pending???.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Me and my uncle put one in a tree in the kaimais 2-3 years ago
    Would have been a good 5 years ago