Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Tahr cull to resume

Tahr cull to resume

Following on from the control plan news last year
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-agreed-53941/

Here's the latest plan.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...id=app-android

Seems like the target is still 10000 on public land. I thought they wanted to cull 10000 which is reported as 12000 so far. They do have a point that the overseas hunters aren't going to be here this season but I still see hints of extermination in the plan. ☹️

They culled over 20K last year. They reckoned there was 35k approx animals then.
    This new 10k they want gone is simply slaughter to exterminate.
    They were supposed to leave the grown bulls and only target nannies and juvies in the last cull. But they smoked anything that moved.
    This new cull is an extermination plain and simple.
    csmiffy and RUMPY like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

There are many many sheeples who hunt, they just can't see through DOC.
    There is no trust left,it's long gone.
    I think the term used is..shafted, is it not?

Yes, and all the talk about recreational shooters being involved is bulldust!
    NZDA asked at one of their consultation meetings about them wanting our tallies -apparently not only have they not done an accurate count for the last 8 years, but only Helihunting and Waro count
    (i know between the 3 local branches we get 1000 tahr/year on average).

"DOC = putting the CON in Conservation"
    outdoorlad and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    Overseas hunters were never a factor. They shoot a bull, pose and climb back in the chopper, for the most part.
    It was always going to go ahead. Sage has Pestonavirus.
    The part about overseas hunters I was referring to was the fact they were to shoot 5 nannies for every bull. Fact is Sage and Doc want them gone.

The last two Tahr hunts i have been on have been in spots that i have hunted for many years with my family and have always held reasonable numbers of Tahr.
    These areas are easily accessible for the recreational hunter and the population has never exploded (due to hunting) with no group sizes greater than 6 animals.
    One of the areas used to graze hundreds of merinos in the days before land tenure but since the removal of the stock the vegetation has absolutely flourished which can easily support the population of 30 to 40 Tahr that have always existed in the area.
    The last cull has gone through and shot everything in these areas to to the point where we cant find a Tahr despite information stating bulls were to be left alone.

There was no justification for decimating these areas especially easily accessible recreational hunting areas.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

You cannot negotiate, reason with or trust recidivist liars.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

R93
    Dont hate me but I will be culling a few animals. Just have to get that stupid licence sorted.
    Guy I will be shooting for tells some different stories to what I have read here.
    Animal numbers where I have been hunting are healthy as.
    The Thar have evolved in the last 10yrs regarding their habitat and are not stupid.
    Maybe some hunters need to as well.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Brian, JoshC, tikka and 4 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I thing i don't like is when they do all the easy areas that a lot of recreational hunters go.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Game should be managed as an asset. DoC's bloofy minded attitude is just sickening.
    outdoorlad, Pengy, deer243 and 2 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    I thing i don't like is when they do all the easy areas that a lot of recreational hunters go.
    The reason for this, is you can park your fuel dump at a convenient road end, operate from there and get the count you need quickly , reducing the fuel used and machine time, maximizing profit margin, this allows the numbers back a bit to stay high and be the count that gets the next contract. They tend to be the same road ends the average ground hunter uses.

Yesterday I was hunting into a secluded short little valley that holds always holds a few animals, and had the pleasure of watching a 44 come flying around the corner with 2 on the strop, flew them past me at my altitude . You don't get a prize for guessing how I feel about that.....
    Micky Duck and Huntfisheat like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Dont hate me but I will be culling a few animals. Just have to get that stupid licence sorted.
    Guy I will be shooting for tells some different stories to what I have read here.
    Animal numbers where I have been hunting are healthy as.
    The Thar have evolved in the last 10yrs regarding their habitat and are not stupid.
    Maybe some hunters need to as well.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Maybe the areas with the big Tahr populations causing all the Sage/Green/Fuckwit angst, should be openly nominated to the hunting puplic.
    Micky Duck likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Maybe the areas with the big Tahr populations causing all the Sage/Green/Fuckwit angst, should be openly nominated to the hunting puplic.
    I don't know of any big populations so don't know what they're on about.
    My spots have healthy numbers imo.
    Good ratio of nannies to bulls etc.
    They would never try and cull them unless they can find them in mature bush and thick scrub.
    Any thar in the open also dissappear at a great rate of knots, long before you hear a helicopter yourself.
    I used to hate seeing helihunting in my spots but now it works in my favour.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    moosemeat likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

They would never try and cull them unless they can find them in mature bush and thick scrub.
    Any thar in the open also dissappear at a great rate of knots, long before you hear a helicopter yourself.

How about rethinking that, or at least explaining it really clearly to us about how you'd convey such a message to the powers that be. "I'm OK, fuck the rest of you" is how it comes across and that thinking will destroy our NZ hunting (and your livelihood with it).

I've been out and about on both coasts since last years culling and numbers are at best "different", low in many popular spots and some remoter ones too. If young guys can't get out into the handy spots with a reasonable chance of knocking over an animal the "anti's will have won and some sort of "green rain" will be developed to finish the job.
    Pengy, deer243, Been Upto and 1 others like this.

This view (yours) is fine if your West Coast tahr have a nice forest to run and hide in. Unfortunately for us east coasters the tahr have nowhere to hide and wiping out massive numbers is easy for the choppers.