Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Tahr on TV

Tahr on TV

Had a search but nil result regarding this.

I saw on TV a night or two back that DOC are giving an area to hunters to control tahr numbers to see how effective that sort of control would be.

I haven’t seen any comment on this on the forum.

So did I just dream it or did everybody else miss it?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Gone but not forgotten
    I got an newsletter/email from a guy at DOC about it, there should be something on their website somewhere

Not a mention of it in papers down here...

For it to be effective hunter's will just need to clap nannies at every possible opportunity to get numbers manageable.

This is potentially very good or very bad. Either we make it work or DOC will point to our failure and be even worse than they already are

In light of there top communication to hunters on this subject I’m guessing there not wanting us to succeed

If they did want it too, they would have been all over the press with it no?
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

make sure you count all the Mt Cook daisies & lilly's. Take pix
    inozz likes this.

Hunters will be brought in next year to work out the management of the South Rakaia/Rangitata area in Canterbury.

But DOC will continue to target all tahr in the Mount Cook and Westland national parks.

Wild Animals Manager James Holborow says the control effort will shift to the west of the Southern Alps.

He says they've had feedback from many sources that there's too many tahr on the Coast.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    Hunters will be brought in next year to work out the management of the South Rakaia/Rangitata area in Canterbury.

But DOC will continue to target all tahr in the Mount Cook and Westland national parks.

Wild Animals Manager James Holborow says the control effort will shift to the west of the Southern Alps.

He says they've had feedback from many sources that there's too many tahr on the Coast.
    Hmm, I wonder who the ‘many sources’ are?

Game Animal Council have put out some stuff on it.

https://nzgameanimalcouncil.org.nz/w...t-approach.pdf

Anyone got any reports on the numbers in the ballot blocks this year?
    After the culling from last year and reports from Doc regarding Tahr numbers on the coast, it would be interesting to hear reports back from the coast.
    Save our Tahr. They belong in the southern alps.

This sounds great!

www.nzgac.org.nz“The GAC remainsfirmly of the view that the Department andstakeholders should be working towardsa revised Himalayan Tahr Control Plan and a longer-term management programme that provides for better protection of the habitat, a viable tahr herdand qualityhunting opportunitiesthrough aligningpermitted tahr densities with the environmental capability ofdifferent locations.”

But so long as we keep getting open hostility from the top levels of doc towards us "Cunters" (still no apology for that from her) I dont see anything really changing!
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Here is an extract from the Ben Reddiex email from doc....

New opportunity for tahr hunters

The Tahr Control Operational Plan 2021/22 lays the groundwork for hunters to play a bigger part in tahr management in future years.
    We have started discussions with the Tahr Plan Implementation Liaison Group (TPILG) on what hunter-led management would look like for the tahr population within the South Rakaia/Rangitata Management Unit.
    This could involve hunters managing tahr populations as well as reporting on tahr numbers and the health of ecosystems.
    We are excited to see what we can achieve by working together with the group on this opportunity.
    A survey undertaken in Autumn 2021 will provide valuable insights for the group to consider. The survey will give detailed information on tahr numbers in the South Rakaia/Rangitata and the Gammack/Two Thumb management units, including the gender balance of the local tahr population.
    We have decided not to control tahr in the South Rakaia/Rangitata management unit over the next year, while we analyse the survey data from this popular hunting spot.
    The area is accessible by vehicle, has a range of huts available and is favoured by hunters for day hunts or longer trips.
    We look forward to seeing recreational and guided hunters play the major part in control efforts.

And the link to the maps supplied by doc outlining Himalayan tahr sightings and control maps

https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re...ightings-maps/
    @yogi heaps of interesting stuff re numbers in the above link

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kukuwai; 11-05-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    yogi likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

DOC sent the info to hunters that applied for the standard 4 monthly hunting permit and ticked the box for further info. And social media, FB etc have reported heaps of tahr in certain areas with hunters taking the usual pics of their success. I even spoke to some trampers on the TA trail that reported small groups of tahr seen on their walk.

I had a mate with a ballot block last week, not good really, a lot of the tops were chewed out like a golf course, the bush was chewed to all buggerie, bark off trees, very open bush, lack of seedlings, ect and they shot a few nannies that were on the skinny side. No big old mature bulls sighted. Looks like the animals have moved off the tops and into the forest to escape the choppers