Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Taranaki Goat hunting

Taranaki Goat hunting

Hey guys just thought Id ask around for some advice on goat hunting around the naki. Being a new hunter Im trying to get some experience with what we have around. My flatmate having been checking out the local Doc blocks for goats to find that cullers have been through and literally eradicated them, we went for a walk through tarere block and just found four different locations with dead goats. What im asking is does anyone know of any more public land with goats? And does anyone know any farmers or anything that would let me come hunt some goats? I dont mind if it takes me doing some work on their farm or whatever. But yeah just thought Id ask anyway. Cheers guys!

Also here is my first billy with my new .308 Name:  43479469_161544628116161_2180083544993300480_n.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  2.79 MB He was shot on a friends farm. About 80m shot on the run.
    Gibo likes this.

Awesome did you take any of the meat to eat
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    Awesome did you take any of the meat to eat
    Unfortunately my mate popped the gut bag whilst gutting it, but we did take the meat of this nanny I got the following day. We stalked this mob through the bush and we came out in a patch of pangas and the nanny was about 150 metres away. Whilst I setup the shot she noticed something was up. She stood up and was staring at me. I took the only shot I got. Smashed her straight through the neck into the engine room. We took her back legs and ribeyes. Cooked some up this morning for breakfast was my first time eating goat really enjoyed it Name:  43618917_470757650087977_8301569418299703296_n.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  1.23 MB
    Gibo and Ingrid 51 like this.

Good stuff I shot a few goats for eating and dog food each year a young goat nanny a whole side boned out do them as a rolled roast with stuffing awesome eating if you can get enough meat makes awesome sausages as well
    stretch and Been Upto like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes1 View Post
    Good stuff I shot a few goats for eating and dog food each year a young goat nanny a whole side boned out do them as a rolled roast with stuffing awesome eating if you can get enough meat makes awesome sausages as well
    That does sound yum bro!

one of my favourite meals rolled side of goat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Been Upto likes this.

Keep hitting those doc blocks, you will find ones you like. Access is the main problems to some of them. Doc generally dont do culling operations too often on Taranaki blocks. So maybe was hunters? return to those blocks in a few months. I can shoot 2 or 3 some visits but usually 10-15 for the same block and sometimes 25+
    Keep an eye out for deer sign too, Doc dont list deer for any blocks in Taranaki but they are around, not massive numbers but they are there. My first deer was on a block we smashed pretty hard taking out 30 - 40 goats quite regularly, probably been to that block 10 times before while only seeing minor old looking deer sign and nothing fresh.
    Been Upto likes this.

Try door knocking around some of the back block farms Urenui/ Ureiti.
    Been Upto likes this.

You tried the DOC land at Messenger forest? Always see them on the drive down. Just a guess of course and I have never hunted it. I have access to a block up Uruti but haven't been in a long time. Need to do another mission in there.
    Been Upto likes this.

Cheers for the replys guys, will continue trying the local doc blocks. I havent tried messenger forest might be worth a go. Will have to suss a mission out soon
    Gibo likes this.

Yea mate keep hitting the DOC blocks, there are shit loads and shit loads of goats here in the naki, I went for a walk to one of my spots on sunday (on DOC land) took my mate who is new to stalking, we came across a nice hine as intended, it couldnt have been an easier shot, 100m away and out in the open, he somehow kooked it and completely missed lol i think the adrenaline kicked in and he just couldnt keep his rifle still, so after that i told him we will just go for goats, knowing his adrenaline would be far more contained on a goat, and sure enough over the next 3hrs he didnt miss a shot we ended up eradicating aprox 8 goats all at distances between 10-300m, goats i have found will lap up the sun and are happy to lay out in the hot of the day in the open, youll usually see them in the open from around 10am once the sun gets some heat in her, then they begin heading bush again around 5pm, im sure someone will round me up for saying this, but goats are stupid, theyre sensors are pitiful compared to the likes of deer, i have sat to the side of a track and had a nanny eating from the bank right next to me, i have crept up on a large billy sun bathing grabbed it by the horns and wrestled it to ground, every time i go stalking i find myself in amongst the bloody things, in Taranaki we need to eradicate more goats to allow more feed and new growth for our low deer populations, goats breed like crazy and we as hunters really do have a responsibility to keep those number at a low, good luck mate
    WallyR and Been Upto like this.

Lots of fond memories goat shooting out at Whongamonoma with my cousin many moons ago.
    Been Upto likes this.

Anywhere from Mt Messenger up to Marokopa. Every time I take that road I see hundreds of goats, along rivers, on slips, and up in the bluffs, especially around Mokau/Awakino.
    Been Upto likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

Old Wangomomona Road is crawling with them if you don't mind a drive. It's DOC land with a quad track running about 10k through it, Manuka scrub with plenty of clearings. You turn right at the Whanga pub and keep on going till you get to the DOC gate.
    WallyR and Been Upto like this.