Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By DavidGunn
  • 1 Post By tanqueray

Thread: Tauhu track

Tauhu track

Hey guys
    Went for a hunt up tauhu track on Sunday . Got up to the bush then got about 200m through the bush following the markers then the track and the markers stopped. Searched for about 30 min but couldn't find the way up. Yes I know I could have just winged it and climbed up hill but was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I had a chat to a group of hunters on the way down and they said they had to use GPS instead of the track. Also are there goats up there as I found what looked like a very small goat print and a pile of runny Sh**. Cheers

did you go up via the forestry road till the end then climb a hill though smaller pines for about 5 mins till you came to the native bush ? its a well marked track al the way to the top -just wondering if you were on the wrong track - you went up te-aroha side ?

Tauranga side is clealy marked a blind man wouldn't get lost

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Tauranga side is clealy marked a blind man wouldn't get lost
    Siegfried Newman did, and he wasn't blind
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by JUMBO View Post
    did you go up via the forestry road till the end then climb a hill though smaller pines for about 5 mins till you came to the native bush ? its a well marked track al the way to the top -just wondering if you were on the wrong track - you went up te-aroha side ?
    Yea mate. Ive been up there heeps so knew where i was going but the track just seemed to end into thick undergrowth and the markers just stopped. If i was really keen i probably could have found a way up but was just happy to get out for a walk .Cheers
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Yea mate. Ive been up there heeps so knew where i was going but the track just seemed to end into thick undergrowth and the markers just stopped. If i was really keen i probably could have found a way up but was just happy to get out for a walk .Cheers
    And yea went up from tearoha side mate

Tuahu Track is about as far South as the goats go at this point. For goats you would be better going in at Tirohia or through the stations on Rawhiti road.

Is that private land there mate? Got a mate from denmark here at the moment and were both dead keen to shoot our first big game animal even if it is a goat.

Yes, it is private land and backs onto DoC land.

Whats parking like on Wairakau Road, at the bottom of Tuahu Track (West Side) - can anyone comment or advise.. is it safe to leave a vehicle there for the weekend?

Any advice or info welcome.

(Recently had our window smashed & car broken into while parked overnite at the end of Franklin Road).

Quote Originally Posted by timekeeper View Post
    Whats parking like on Wairakau Road, at the bottom of Tuahu Track (West Side) - can anyone comment or advise.. is it safe to leave a vehicle there for the weekend?

Any advice or info welcome.

(Recently had our window smashed & car broken into while parked overnite at the end of Franklin Road).
    I wouldn't park there over the weekend, some lowlifes have recently moved into the area. One was caught a week or so ago and given a hiding beyond belief for interfering with a vehicle on a farm property nearby, but he has mates...what weekend are you looking at going, i can put you in touch with someone who lives a couple of K's away that could run you back and forth and look after your vehicle.
    NRT, rugerman, Gibo and 2 others like this.

Thanks DG,

Doubt the hiding could have been solid enough, alright thanks for the post, we were thinking of heading up there this afternoon / tonight & could also walk a few km's extra, no worries there most likely that is well worth it for 'peace of mind'.

We parked a while ago at the bottom Thompsons... had a look around and there didn't seem to be too much glass around so we left the car for the night & went up yo Kauritatahi for the night for a looksie.... that road end did look a bit ominous though.

Somewhere I read the Easter Side was possibly more of a problem, car security wise... I can't find those posts now though.

'I wouldn't park there over the weekend, some lowlifes have recently moved into the area. One was caught a week or so ago and given a hiding beyond belief for interfering with a vehicle on a farm property nearby, but he has mates...what weekend are you looking at going, i can put you in touch with someone who lives a couple of K's away that could run you back and forth and look after your vehicle.'

There will be a lot of leaf on the ground, blew like hell last night, calm now, expect rain tonight and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I wouldn't park there over the weekend, some lowlifes have recently moved into the area. One was caught a week or so ago and given a hiding beyond belief for interfering with a vehicle on a farm property nearby, but he has mates...what weekend are you looking at going, i can put you in touch with someone who lives a couple of K's away that could run you back and forth and look after your vehicle.
    I know a few of the farmers on that road and if its who i think it is then yes... would have been a good towling!

Interesting country all up through there but i never hunted it much... loved the sika and the kaimanawas alot more.

Deer numbers have certainly increased alot over the last 6 years.

I’ve hunted Tuahu a dozen or so times over the last few years, shot my first deer up there. Never had car troubles.
    timekeeper likes this.
    More meplat, more better.