Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Danny
  • 1 Post By Bonecrusher

Thread: Taupo Reds

Taupo Reds

Hi guys looking for areas to hunt reds i have been looking at matakuhia huts off waipunga rd anyone hunted this area ?? Not after secrect spots just want to know if the deer are around.
    cheers

Caretaker
    There are red deer there.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by llewelyn View Post
    Hi guys looking for areas to hunt reds i have been looking at matakuhia huts off waipunga rd anyone hunted this area ?? Not after secrect spots just want to know if the deer are around.
    cheers
    Is that private? I would not leave a vehicle unattended through most of that patch if not.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I've spent a bit of time on that road, if you want to spotlight it I hope you like early mornings, ie 4am. If you want to hunt it... lol good luck.

It's not private but one needs to be careful with vehicles especially if you are parking and heading into Matakuhia huts areas for a night or two.
    I hunt that area so pm me if you wanted someone to tag along sometime. There are some spots worthy on mention.
    Shearer and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Dan M

Hey guys thanks for the replies i will try and hide the truck.

Danny thanks also i work shift work and its abit hecktic at the mo will let you know thanks alot.

any other areas around taupo that hasnt been 1080d

Pumice country so prone to erosion nonmaintained tracks by DOC, contains alot of windfall. Need to have good "bush sense" navigating down the Matakuhia. Available species > reds, sika, pigs and the odd wild sheep. It is an area I like to stretch the legs as I know it quite well. I would go in off Pine Milling Rd rather than try and bush bash your way in on the Opureke Track.
    Danny likes this.

check DOCs website it had the green rain a few weeks ago...... soooo don't take a dog and don't expect meat for the freezer

when parking my truck in dodge areas I empty glove box and center console and leave them open, I also disable engine. don't want to have to bloody walk home with a deer on my back.