Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Te Tapui

Walking my rifle

Te Tapui

I got block B "the one without the track" thursday and friday, has anyone had much luck there this season? Any tips?

Taking the wife in since its close to home, hoping to get her 1st fallow.

Cheers

Pretty sure that there's a Maori section that you have to be careful to stay out of.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have hunted in block A quite a bit but haven’t been in B. A mate came across a lot of sign and a few deer in the northern end of the block a few years ago. Use your ears more than your eyes, very noisy underfoot but that applies to the deer too.
    About two-thirds of block A is Māori owned but it is included in the permits for that block.

I've hunted in Te Tapui/Te Miro a few times. A lot of people will say that the farm edges are most productive, I haven't necessarily found that to be the case. Use google earth to identify little bush clearings, they'll be worth checking out. You'll find that some of the bush is real nasty supplejack stuff, often around the creeks, and that some areas are nice and open. I believe you can go walking through there at any time, obviously can only hunt it during your balloted period, but this shouldn't stop you going in for an unarmed recce.
    More meplat, more better.

Gone but not forgotten
    March and April are balloted, May to October email DOC Waikato and get a two day permit (one hunting party per block), November to February the blocks are closed for fawning. As said above, there are no restrictions on tramping (without a rifle) anytime you want (but be aware there may be hunters in the same area not expecting trampers way off-track).
    I have never had a problem getting a permit for the days I want, though I mainly go for weekdays.