Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: test-firing on public land

test-firing on public land

Okay, this is an honest question from a newbie, so I apologise in advance if it seems stupid or has been covered elsewhere.

What's the etiquette for test-firing a rifle in a public hunting block? I'd like to check my scope is still sighted in when I next head out after taking a knock on my last trip (don't ask - rookie mistake!). Unfortunately, work & family commitments have prevented me from being able to get to a range on one of the open-days. I guess this could also apply to checking a borrowed gun, or if taking a mate out, that sort of thing.

Obviously all the safety rules would apply such as checking the firing zone, etc. I'd pick a spot as far as possible from areas likely to hold game and avoid morning/evenings to lessen the chance of spooking an animal that someone else is stalking in the next valley, but I imagine some hunters could get pissed off if someone lets off a few rounds in the area unnecessarily. I'd also be interested in whether it actually matters - do animals stay jittery or go to ground for ages if there's been a shot fired nearby, or do they go back about their business fairly quickly?

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the great info generously shared on this forum as it is a wealth of knowledge for someone starting out without an experienced mate. Mods - please move to another section if more appropriate elsewhere.

It wouldn't worry me personally long us you picked up your target (what ever you shoot at) and don't leave a mess. Bit off common sense comes in to play. There is a difference between a handful of rounds or sitting there with a couple boxes chasing holes around.Also if there are other hunters in the area
    But your best bet would be to find a local farmer and give him a box or a cray or two and sight your gun in on private land. Takes all the issue's away.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Not sure about etiquette, but if you do choose to do it, having a suppressor on your rifle will help a lot.

Big Bears suggestion about finding a place to sight in on a farm is pretty much the best idea.
    rewa and dannyb like this.

I think that should be done before you head out. If you were out hunting and someone was sighting in a rifle or firing one check shot it would most likely annoy you. Thats my thoughts.

SiB
    My last two trips into local doc forest had me hearing multiple sighting in type shots much closer than I wanted. Couldn’t see them though. I chose to move on. It’s a big forest. Saw an animal ten minutes later

It would be better to check and readjust your scope if it was out than risk wounding an animal. If you can find a farm all the better but if not I think the responsible thing to do would be do it on Public land in a safe manner.
    veitnamcam likes this.

just go up lyndon like everyone else. or are they clamping down on that up there?

Just use common sense. Don't shoot where you might annoy people.

Banned
    If its a block you have a permit for, then go and do what you wish.
    Just use your discretion obviously. Not in the car park, or on the track. Take a day bag and a packed lunch and wander off by yourself somewhere. It's still a freer country than the UK or the US last I checked.
    veitnamcam and Bagheera like this.

So long as you check your firing zone, and don’t use DoC signs at track junctions:

Name:  31CE1861-AAE3-467F-9C1D-F3D37E9193E3.jpeg
Views: 1228
Size:  3.91 MB
    Tim Dicko likes this.
    More meplat, more better.

By the looks of that grouping, the shooter definitely needed to spend some time on the range before heading out

Thanks guys. Yes @bigbear and @Tim Dicko, I'd rather sort it out before heading out, but I'm still trying to find a farmer who will let me shoot on their land... good call @Mooseman that it's preferable to maiming an animal. Nice to know there's still room for commonsense and that we haven't completely succumbed to regulating the crap out of everything.

Just remember three shots 10 seconds apart is an SOS.
    rewa likes this.

I was in the same boat years ago trying to find a place to shoot at a target its bloody hard when you live in town (and a townie at the time) but was lucky enough back then to find a place through a flat mate and then when i was in the trade a guy i got to know dad's managed i block ten minutes out off town so worked out sweet for a while.
    When you find a place just remember don't take mates that will ruin it for you. Rubbish falling out of the car, driving across that wet paddock etc etc.
    Good luck
    mopheadrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inglishill View Post
    Just remember three shots 10 seconds apart is an SOS.
    Did not know that. You learn something new every day (well, I do. Some of the guys here know it all already, right? )