Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Thank you Andrew ,aka paremata

Thank you Andrew ,aka paremata

Look what turned up in the post today! Thank you Andrew, aka @paremata

There was a post on here about the old days of deer culling in NZ etc, back in the 40s etc. Talking about hunting icons like Rex Forrester etc. I mentioned that his book was the first hunting book I bought. I devoured it for years. The book cost me $5, I was on $48 a week as a butchery apprentice. Well, mum hit the roof because I'd spent so much on that book ha ha.

Anyway I mentioned all of this story on the forum. Also that I'd loaned it out and never got it back. Andrew messaged me and asked me to send him my address and I could have his copy. I offered to pay for the postage but he refused. How nice is that? There are some bloody good bastards out there! Thank you so much!!!!

Name:  book.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  694.6 KB
    Nathan F, Tahr, Carbine and 26 others like this.

That's so cool, you are right there a plenty of good people here on the forum. I too devoured that book back in the early 70,s but was my second book, Gary Joll,s book Hunting in NZ was my first one. Great books to look back on.

@Mooseman Joll's was my second book! This one

Name:  Joll.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  550.6 KB
    stingray, john m, Mooseman and 3 others like this.

That's the one , great reading about how it was back in the early days when things were less complicated.

My mate just sent me these rife price lists from back in the day

Name:  1965.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  1970.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  187.3 KB
    stingray, john m, Mooseman and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post

Attachment 181670

Attachment 181672
    That is a blast from the past. The first page lists a Parker Hale Standard .303 with a new barrel for fourteen pounds ten shillings ($29.00). This is what I bought in late 1967 at that price. It was my first rifle now long gone. I can't remember shooting anything with it even after I fitted a scope. After about 10 years it was replaced with a Remington 700 ADL in .308 Win which is still here and has been a little more successful.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Bought my first 303 off Tisdalls by mail order. Couldn't shot anything with the bloody thing so bought a Tikka 22-250 with Tikka rings and a Weaver 3X scope in 1978. For $415. Was on about $120 a week so put it on payments for a year.

Finnwolf price was what I paid in ‘72!
    bumblefoot likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

@grandpamac Dad's farming mag had the Valentines ad in the back (mid-late 70's). You could get new Jungle Carbines for $26. I also used to lust after ex WW2 packages of helmet, gas masks etc. Can't remember what else was in the "package deal". About then all the ex Vietnam War stuff was beginning to be listed too

@grandpamac Dad's farming mag had the Valentines ad in the back (mid-late 70's). You could get new Jungle Carbines for $26. I also used to lust after ex WW2 packages of helmet, gas masks etc. Can't remember what else was in the "package deal". About then all the ex Vietnam War stuff was beginning to be listed too
    Greetings @bumblefoot,
    I had a gas mask pack for years that I used as a hunting pack. It had all sorts of useful compartments and I got it from Neal's Army Store in Napier. They had all sorts of useful stuff for the outdoors not just surplus either. In the late 50's they had battle dress jackets in children's sizes. Seven and sixpence each (75 cents) or one pound for three (2.00). Taradale School, my primary and intermediate school did not have a uniform so half the boys were running around in them at play and lunchtime.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Look what turned up in the post today! Thank you Andrew, aka @paremata

There was a post on here about the old days of deer culling in NZ etc, back in the 40s etc. Talking about hunting icons like Rex Forrester etc. I mentioned that his book was the first hunting book I bought. I devoured it for years. The book cost me $5, I was on $48 a week as a butchery apprentice. Well, mum hit the roof because I'd spent so much on that book ha ha.

Anyway I mentioned all of this story on the forum. Also that I'd loaned it out and never got it back. Andrew messaged me and asked me to send him my address and I could have his copy. I offered to pay for the postage but he refused. How nice is that? There are some bloody good bastards out there! Thank you so much!!!!

Attachment 181660
    No worries, you saved me from stuffing up my venison patties . I scored a couple of kgs of pork back fat so I'll be putting it through the mincer with the venison this weekend.

I loaned out a book called Fishing for the pot around Kapiti island to a mate and he lost it. A few years later when my son was out fishing with me he caught a salmon which is a rare catch here and an old bloke at his mums cafe heard about it and was asked him a few questions about the salmon where he caught it etc. The next day he bought in a copy of that book for my son and I , turned out he was Roger Cotterall the author of the book and it was one of his last copies . He was an interesting guy, his obituary is hilarious https://www.pressreader.com/new-zeal...82286728356291
    Pack out heavy

A good positive thread.
    I cant believe the number of negative threads and woe is me comments on them that are started on this site. Most of them nothing to do with hunting or shooting. I just cant imagine having a black cloud like that hanging over me all of the time.

So big ups to you positive and helpful guys.

Attachment 181670

Attachment 181672

Nice. I worked at Tisdalls PNth after school and during the holidays during those times.
    stingray and bumblefoot like this.

That obituary is nice way to be remembered. He sounds like he lived a colorful life.

Those prices for the Sako Vixen and Forrester for 1970's are about what I paid for mine while in the Forest Service.