Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thar hunting using lake access

Hi Guys,
    I'm doing a bit of a road trip towing my wee Kiwicraft in October/November. Heading to Moraki to do a bit of fishing, then was thinking of heading inland and possibly comming back up the west coast.

I've never hunted Thar and wondered if the boat would be handy for access. The other half will be with me so probably just the odd day trip or an overnighter. Thinking maybe Lake Ohau or surrounding areas.

Impure Lead Flinger
    I think to get into tahr country a jetboat will be left a LLLOOONNNNGGGGG way behind... Unless its the flying kind lol

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    I think to get into tahr country a jetboat will be left a LLLOOONNNNGGGGG way behind... Unless its the flying kind lol
    No jetboat...just an egg beater

Impure Lead Flinger
    tahr will stil be pretty high up at this time of year... So popping accross a lake may give you some advantage but theres still alot of walking going to need to be done... So id make yourself aware of that!!

Forget the boat, bring a 4wd or a quad bike. Great time of the year in october/november to be chasing tahr as they will be down lower to feed on spring flush.
    Just got to watch the rivers as they run very high from snow melt in the high country.
    If you dont have a 4wd then head up to mt cook for a look about for a tahr. Call Doc Twizel and have a chat.
    Tahr are hard to find during the day but move late afternoon so bring your bino's and be prepared to sit and watch for a long time .

Spring = norwest = deadly conditions on high country lakes .

Thanks for your replys so far guys. I'm very aware of Nor West conditions and how quick river levels can rise as I drive jetboats for a living.

I have a 4 wheel drive and could throw my farm bike (2 wheeler) on the back if its any help.

You wont need the bike. Illegal if its not wofed and reged anyway. Heeeaaaaaaapppppssss of places to go. Just ring DOC and bring your binos!

Chris