Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree215Likes

Thread: Is there anyone out there who is still concerned about beating Covid19?

Is there anyone out there who is still concerned about beating Covid19?

Just wondering on this. Is anyone actually still concerned about this (or maybe never was)? Are there people out there on this forum who are still thinking that whatever we need to do over the next month or so will be worth the thought of not hunting for a short while longer? Is anyone concerned about the cost in human life and to the long term impacts on the economy if we don't get this right first time and now? Is anyone less concerned about what others are doing or getting and more about doing the right thing themselves personally? Is anyone worried more about drawing a line in the sand and not pushing the boundary to the very edge? Is anyone thinking more about other people's loved ones and the good of our dear country and less about a few small and short term personal gains? Is anyone thinking that maybe the government is so overwhelmed with decisions that need to be made quickly and as they arise, that they might get the odd thing wrong and that this is not some big conspiracy theory against hunters? Is anyone realistic and understands that policy people are not usually hunters and are learning as they go? Does anyone understand that our hunting organisations are working tirelessly behind the scenes for us and our time would be better spent supporting them rather than ranting on line? Does anyone think that maybe as much as we all REALLY REALLY love hunting and all it entails, that us getting out there ASAP might not be the biggest issue facing the country at the moment? Is there anyone who might be happy that someone else might be able to get out for a hunt and realise a dream, even if they cant for a bit longer? Is there anyone who might be happy to at least just get out and go for a local rabbit hunt with their kid, even though they might have to wait a whole two more weeks to hunt bull tahr in Westland?

Just wondering..........................I really hope there is.
    rupert, JoshC, Scouser and 6 others like this.

The virus cannot be eliminated / eradicated no matter how much virtue is brought to any such discussion.

The NZ economy can be and has been trashed in futile pursuit of that foolish goal.

If you are old enough to have adult children, they will pay the price over years.

Your diatribe is mistaken and misdirected.

If I'm not mistaken, we might contain C19, but we won't wipe it out, which will mean it will flare up in places. Then we'll have to sort out our response to it.

So as a country we are likely to go from level 4 to level 3 then 2, and possibly back to 4 if necessary.

I doubt this will be over soon.

We will have to be patient, and keep the big picture in mind.
    JoshC, tikka, ebf and 3 others like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by sightpicture View Post
    The virus cannot be eliminated / eradicated no matter how much virtue is brought to any such discussion.

The NZ economy can be and has been trashed in futile pursuit of that foolish goal.

If you are old enough to have adult children, they will pay the price over years.

Your diatribe is mistaken and misdirected.
    Thanks. I am fully aware of issues re its ongoing persistance and the massive issues around our econmy. I think that this in no way is a diatribe (fancy word for a rant - I'm not that illiterate) and more pondering things. It is meant less as a pondering on C19 and more as a pondering on human nature. For me this has been the take home message from all of this. I have been both inspired at times and also saddened at others. Beat it or not there is no doubt that many of our loved ones are currently alive because of what we have done so far. Maybe even ourselves!

The virus once it infects someone (and its incubation period is 4-7 days, overall between 2-14 days, sometimes as much as 21+ days) takes another 2-3 weeks to kill the - fortunately small - percentage of its victims where it turns lethal.

So what "we" did 4 weeks ago has pretty much nothing to do with many people currently being alive who would otherwise be dying or dead. The facts of biology and pathology simply do not support that narrative.

It may prove in the next few weeks that we have kept more people from dying than otherwise; but at the time of writing, that is a hope not a fact.

It is also a fact that as an island nation, had we shut our borders and quarantined inbound passengers properly many weeks ago as many of us said we should do, we would not be in our current - and in our future - economic mess.
    Last edited by sightpicture; 23-04-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Does anyone understand that our hunting organisations are working tirelessly behind the scenes for us and our time would be better spent supporting them rather than ranting on line?
    Sorry, I call rubbish on that. They have done very little that has caused any change.

They did nothing to change the status in level 4

Labour said in lvl 3 it wouldnt allow hunting but went on to allow other more risky sports. They were called out on it, they had no choice but backtrack. The compromise so Labour wouldnt loose face but appease the hunters was to allow it on private land but not on public land (clearly the public have no say as to what goes on on public land which is another story). That had about 0.0001% influence from hunting organisations.

Before that, what did they do after the mosque attack? COLFO got stuck in, with very little support from any other organisations, the shooting community or hunting community. NZDA did diddly squat along with Pistol NZ etc.

They have a bit of a murmur every now and then which is the only indication these organisations are still alive but in my opinion, the support they have shown their members and standing up against govt and police is fuck all. Sorry.

So please remind me what are they tirelessly working behind the scenes on.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Not concerned about "beating covid-19, I more concerned about the economic events that will become evident in the next 2-4 months.

I think the number of actual fatlities from CV-19 will be far less than the number from the economic fall out.

I already know many people, my brother included who after the 5 weeks of "Lock Down" will not be returning to their jobs which 5 weeks ago was not even a thought in their heads!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Yeah, its on Stuff, thats why the govt just threw $50 million at the media, so they can keep publishing that sort of rot. The govts propaganda campaigns especially on TV have clearly had a huge success.
    veitnamcam, William and outlander like this.
    GUN CONTROL IS A TIGHT 5-SHOT GROUP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Browning View Post
    Yeah, its on Stuff, thats why the govt just threw $50 million at the media, so they can keep publishing that sort of rot. The govts propaganda campaigns especially on TV have clearly had a huge success.
    Maybe, but anecdotally there does seem to be wide support for the lock down and the Gov's approach. Regardless of the source I would say that its close to the mark

This forum is a very narrow lens to speculate through.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    Just wondering on this. Is anyone actually still concerned about this (or maybe never was)? Are there people out there on this forum who are still thinking that whatever we need to do over the next month or so will be worth the thought of not hunting for a short while longer? Is anyone concerned about the cost in human life and to the long term impacts on the economy if we don't get this right first time and now? Is anyone less concerned about what others are doing or getting and more about doing the right thing themselves personally? Is anyone worried more about drawing a line in the sand and not pushing the boundary to the very edge? Is anyone thinking more about other people's loved ones and the good of our dear country and less about a few small and short term personal gains? Is anyone thinking that maybe the government is so overwhelmed with decisions that need to be made quickly and as they arise, that they might get the odd thing wrong and that this is not some big conspiracy theory against hunters? Is anyone realistic and understands that policy people are not usually hunters and are learning as they go? Does anyone understand that our hunting organisations are working tirelessly behind the scenes for us and our time would be better spent supporting them rather than ranting on line? Does anyone think that maybe as much as we all REALLY REALLY love hunting and all it entails, that us getting out there ASAP might not be the biggest issue facing the country at the moment? Is there anyone who might be happy that someone else might be able to get out for a hunt and realise a dream, even if they cant for a bit longer? Is there anyone who might be happy to at least just get out and go for a local rabbit hunt with their kid, even though they might have to wait a whole two more weeks to hunt bull tahr in Westland?

Just wondering..........................I really hope there is.

I for one am and am growing more and more embarrassed and frustrated from some of the junk I have read from "hunters". Mainly Facebook pages but im sure their will be plenty of critters here aswell. Like a toddler packing a tantrum is how im seeing it. A toy he doesnt even use very much but has a melt down the moment its taken away. What are we talking 7 8 weeks of restrictions? Get a grip eh its not that bad . Im picking they have it all figured out got all the dots pinned together on their lounge wall beside their bookshelf full of flat earth comic books
    JoshC, Scouser, Hewie and 3 others like this.

Yeah, there was wide support for the earth being flat too.

& if this forum is such a very narrow lens then why have you looked through it 6,848 times? /rhetorical.
    Cordite and outlander like this.

Yeah, there was wide support for the earth being flat too.

& if this forum is such a very narrow lens then why have you looked through it 6,848 times? /rhetorical.
    The forum its self and 99% of what i find on here is bloody brilliant. Good yarns educational and a good place to share/educate others im not moaning about the forum its self.The temporary ban yarns are useless and done to death im doing my best not to even read them so thats my bad. Sorry @sightpicture I realise that was rhetorical
    Phil_H likes this.

The virus once it infects someone (and its incubation period is 4-7 days, overall between 2-14 days, sometimes as much as 21+ days) takes another 2-3 weeks to kill the - fortunately small - percentage of its victims where it turns lethal.

So what "we" did 4 weeks ago has pretty much nothing to do with many people currently being alive who would otherwise be dying or dead. The facts of biology and pathology simply do not support that narrative.

It may prove in the next few weeks that we have kept more people from dying than otherwise; but at the time of writing, that is a hope not a fact.

It is also a fact that as an island nation, had we shut our borders and quarantined inbound passengers properly many weeks ago as many of us said we should do, we would not be in our current - and in our future - economic mess.
    +1 This

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ers-from-china
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51338899

Lets not forget we closed our borders AFTER the US and Australia. Just following Trump were we Sea Biscuit?
    chainsaw, Cordite and outlander like this.