Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad

Thread: they all pink on the inside.

they all pink on the inside.

so fellas,not sure about something so thought to ask the greater comunity.
    over the last 20 years Ive shot 2 deer and a mate shot another in same area,all three within 6-700yards of each other...shot lots more in same area but these 3 are different,when skinning them the colour under the skin is pinky Brown,the first animal was velvet stag..he was tough as old boot leather. 2nd one was old hind,she too was tough...the third one died yesterday and got carried home ,when skinning hind quarters tonight I see the same pinky brown colour to the skin...I REALLY HOPE Im wrong and this one will be fine...2hour plus carry to turn it into mince will be just wrong.
    anyone else struck the unusual colour ??? anyone KNOW what it is???
    hind I shot yesterday would be maybe 3 year old...not a huge animal and looked in fine condition.

Shot a hind like that with bil about 18 years ago. Think it is attributable to age. This in central Ruahines.

Have shot sika over the years that have a different color to the meat when skinned off. Not sure what it is, thought it could be the animal having a hard winter and not so good a feed about. Don't really know what the cause is but have noticed it a few times.

Know of a block in Northern Wairarapa that produced bright pink Possum Skins.
    Cold exposed place, heck of a lot of Horopito, come to think of it not much else but Horopito, not sure if there is a link.

You see it in some skinny dog tucker sheep meat is pale as well, with no fat reserves. I think it is a sign that the body is starting to metabolise muscle as it's run out of everything else.

OK @Micky Duck, sounds like it could be malnutrition. Time to shoot more animals in there. Maybe you should have dropped the other one too. Give me a month or two to get this knee strong and I'll come for a walk.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was a bit Nervous clicking on this!
    RUMPY likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    You see it in some skinny dog tucker sheep meat is pale as well, with no fat reserves. I think it is a sign that the body is starting to metabolise muscle as it's run out of everything else.
    I had thought of that...but a velvet stag in summer months should hardly be starving..
    the eye fillets were primo eating,Mrs n I just had them for breakfast with couple of eggs each,now I better go off to work and fart up a storm to share the love with everyone else LOL.