Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Thinking of a return trip in 2019

Thinking of a return trip in 2019

I took a great free range Red on my last trip with a guide as well as a reasonable Fallow. On my own hunting public land I managed a very small Chamoi. Thinking of returning a couple years out. I love to hunt and enjoy the experience and am not looking for huge trophies. That said, mature animals are the goal. Sika would be a huge bucket list item as would Thar. Thinking about at least two weeks. As much DIY hunting as possible and I would consider some reasonably priced free range hunting with a guide. I build custom guns for a living and spend lots of time in the field both here in Colorado and in South Dakota. Hunt or other trades are very possible as well. Do any of you hunt with black powder? A Red or Sika with a Percussion rifle would truly delight me. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
    Steve Bertram

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Steve. Good that you are planning so far in advance. Contribute on here over that time and I am sure you will get to open a few worthwhile doors. First off you will need to plan to visit both main islands as the Sika are in the North and the Thar are in the South.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome on the forum. You find guys here hunting with all sorts ,am sure you will be able to hook up with someone who's hunting with BP. I might give it a go next year too. Get in touch before you come over am sure we can sort out something.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

Thank you for your input and the welcome Rushy. This will be my third trip but I have never spent time on the North Island. I'm in no hurry and enjoy researching my options. I have been reading through old posts on the forum and my Spot X guide from my last trip. The costly part is the flight so I am thinking about staying as long as I can, enjoying myself and taking as many animals as I can.
    Steve
    Shearer likes this.

what type of custom guns do you mostly build steve ?

sneakywaza I got
    TAHR.
    Gibo and timattalon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    TAHR.
    CHRISTCHURCH CITY
    timattalon likes this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    TAHR.
    Depends on what dialect you use.
    I prefer urdu/hindu

So I will always spell it Thar.
    And I can do what I want.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Brian, Gibo, Tommy and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I build mostly in the British style. Walnut and rust blue. I do quite a few single shot rifles on falling block actions with some bolt guns as well. I build a few double shotguns here and there as well.
    Steve

First attempt posting a picture here. I took this Black Bear in Alaska this Spring with the rifle pictured which is a .375 H&H on a standard Mauser that I built.

MSL
    Very nice

Lovely Mauser 375 Mag.
    Won't need anything that powerful here - others will share their opinions as to what will do best on your target species.
    Been to both SD (Sturgis) and CO in 2013, but on a motorcycle guided tour.
    Loved both and met a guy (in Steamboat, CO), who offered to take me Elk hunting in season in CO.
    Think it was the Kiwi Sav Blanc talking - or maybe it was the Tequila?
    Lost contact with him as we moved the following year back to NZ from Australia.
    Wherever you decide to go, there'll be someone on here with excellent advice on rifle, calibre and what gear you should be thinking about.

Thanks much for the input. Took my Red last trip with a .25/06 I built. Fun hunt and great animal but I love shooting things up close. The closer the better in my mind. That was why I asked about black powder shooters and was looking at sometime on the North island maybe during the roar. I also love to hunt with open sighted single shots, my favorite being my .30 super H&H. This is not my best Whitetail but he was taken at a lasered 205 yards with open sights.

my stag taken with the .25/06 I built at about 260 yards.

A nice representative stag with an old rifle and up close would really be the bees knees or I guess as some say the Mutts nutts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbertram View Post
    First attempt posting a picture here. I took this Black Bear in Alaska this Spring with the rifle pictured which is a .375 H&H on a standard Mauser that I built.

Welcome.

Now that you know how to post pictures please put some up of the single shots.
    Im a fan of nice single shots and here is my favorite with a couple of red stags I shot this roar.
    Left hand Blaser k95 6.5x65R

Name:  10 pointer .jpg
Views: 302
Size:  478.8 KB

Name:  Waipuna 10 point stag .jpg
Views: 298
Size:  566.2 KB

Since you asked I'm happy to show some work I have done. Clients gun, completely restored, engraving picked up, new barrel in .500 NE, shop built sights, I restocked it as well. More gun than I need but the client was pleased.

Brian, stingray, sometimes and 2 others like this.