Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: thompson track

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    54

    thompson track

    Went for a walk up there today with mum.. The gps told me we were 5 to 6k's up track first lot of logging skids.. Any one give me idea how much further or the direction from there you would head to least try find anything..

  2. #2
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,591
    I think ots about 7km to the top and from there youre into it.
    Pengy likes this.

  3. #3
    Member BRADS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    8,223

    thompson track

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I think ots about 7km to the top and from there youre into it.
    Can you get into there without 1st gear mate?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    7.3 km from road end to junction with north/south track
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  5. #5
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,591
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Can you get into there without 1st gear mate?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gearbox is ok they tell me test it this weekend in Gizzy
    Pengy likes this.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    7.3 km from road end to junction with north/south track
    so once at top north south ? just head into bush go with the flow.

  7. #7
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    With a decent GPS and map/compass
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  8. #8
    Member Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    553
    Yeah your not far from the top, did you have a look about on the way up?
    I was up there about a week or so ago and nothing until the skid site. Ran in to another hunter on his way out and he had spooked one right up at the 4x4 tracks. There are a few little side routes to check as well.
    Also ran in to a fella called Russell up there when i was checking out the view with the binos and he gave me some local knowledge. Basically they are all further up and I am starting to think better of heading in from the other side.
    Looking at heading in good friday about 3am get in there and hunt back to the truck.
    I really don't fancy the carry out from that far in
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Yeah your not far from the top, did you have a look about on the way up?
    I was up there about a week or so ago and nothing until the skid site. Ran in to another hunter on his way out and he had spooked one right up at the 4x4 tracks. There are a few little side routes to check as well.
    Also ran in to a fella called Russell up there when i was checking out the view with the binos and he gave me some local knowledge. Basically they are all further up and I am starting to think better of heading in from the other side.
    Looking at heading in good friday about 3am get in there and hunt back to the truck.
    I really don't fancy the carry out from that far in
    Yeah we took our time had a look around. Bit wet and cold up there today. Funny few things you say.. I said to mum half hour ago get there at 3am get a good start up to the top, whatt I have read the Tauranga side is a lot harder work ?? And also did think fark imagine carrying a stag out from there be a mean mission haha

  10. #10
    Grant grunzter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    772
    We need 'Spook' back!

    Come on mod's, please open his door, he is our gate keeper to the Kaimai's...

  11. #11
    Member Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    We need 'Spook' back!

    Come on mod's, please open his door, he is our gate keeper to the Kaimai's...
    Thanks for saying hi the other day Grant, I was a bit bloody knackered. Hope you had fun
    grunzter likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

  12. #12
    Member Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam1984 View Post
    Yeah we took our time had a look around. Bit wet and cold up there today. Funny few things you say.. I said to mum half hour ago get there at 3am get a good start up to the top, whatt I have read the Tauranga side is a lot harder work ?? And also did think fark imagine carrying a stag out from there be a mean mission haha
    Yeah bit of a bloody big carry out. Funny as.
    I think good Friday is my last hunt in for a while just with this being silly season for my work. Will post up shortly about if anyone want's to join me, early start and keeping quiet on the way.

    Some good areas there for spring, but that's a long way off
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

  13. #13
    Grant grunzter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    772
    Hi Willie, I'm guessing you were the bright orange chap with an English accent at Thompsons track road end...
    Grant
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0008 - small.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  202.0 KB
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0012 - smallCopy.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  200.2 KB
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0014.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  201.6 KB
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0031.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  204.8 KB
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0033.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  174.4 KB
    Name:  IMG-20150321-WA0035.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  201.0 KB
    Last edited by grunzter; 27-03-2015 at 09:45 PM.
    Willie likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Dan-N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    77
    That looks different since I was last there, sounds like there are a few hunters going up the track?

  15. #15
    Member Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan-N View Post
    That looks different since I was last there, sounds like there are a few hunters going up the track?
    Not many hunters Dan, heaps of motor bikes and 4x4's though.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Thompson's Track/Tuahu Track
    By Yeti in forum Hunting
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 18-05-2014, 07:45 AM
  2. WTB Thompson break down rifle
    By Echo in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-12-2013, 10:25 AM
  3. Thompson/center encore RECALL.
    By CreepingDeath in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  4. Near New Thompson Venture 7mm08
    By .22-250 everything in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!