Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By R93

Thread: Thoughts on 1080 buffer zone

Thoughts on 1080 buffer zone

Have checked a few past threads roughly touching on the subject so sorry if i'm dragging this up again, i've had my eye on an area (google earth and topo maps) that lies about 4km at the closest point to a recently poisoned area, seeing that DOC reckon a 2km buffer is ok would you guys bother?

What do you think they base this buffer on ? the animals dying before they make it 2km or what?

Probably base it on their loose application methods
    mucko likes this.

If you were around after the poison drop in the Kaimanawa's , the deer were found to travel up to 10kms from the poison drop areas ,We have endless photos and records of what really went on , including the shit heads on motor bikes while on PD delivering the poison around the boundries .No public records to show poison drop because they were do PD at Whakatane .

Mac
    Personally I make sure I am 10k's away from the drop edge eh. Just to feel confident I'm not eating doc poison!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes always worth having a look. You will know pretty quickly if there are deer there. I was recently (on Tuesday) hunting an area that was literally a km from a large area of bush bombed with the green stuff last winter. I glassed a high number of deer in the evening, so while I know its killed a few (seen them dead), it hasn't got them all.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

R93
    If it is good enough for export and strict EU requirements it is good enough for me.
    You would have to ingest a whole deer in one sitting to be effected anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sniper likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I think 4km would be enough

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Don't be afraid to hunt an area that has been poisoned in the past. Yes, it has kill some, but not all and if the number are high in the surrounding areas, they can move back in pretty quick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it. But it will be with us for a while yet and we need to adapt and find how to still get deer with the operations still happening.

How long since the drop? i would hunt the drop zone week or two after if its still alive then it should be good to eat. i wouldnt eat one out of a area where food is tight for the deer. the drop that was done behind the old farm i ran. resulted in two deer found dead from 1080 and that was both a pro and anti 1080 groups looking. the low death rate could of been contributed to the high level of fed available for the deer to graze so maybe deer are less likely to graze on pellets in this situation and maybe a yearling eating out of curiosity rather then a need to.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    How long since the drop? i would hunt the drop zone week or two after if its still alive then it should be good to eat. i wouldnt eat one out of a area where food is tight for the deer. the drop that was done behind the old farm i ran. resulted in two deer found dead from 1080 and that was both a pro and anti 1080 groups looking. the low death rate could of been contributed to the high level of fed available for the deer to graze so maybe deer are less likely to graze on pellets in this situation and maybe a yearling eating out of curiosity rather then a need to.
    I think you might be right here. I've hunted block that have been eaten out and no food left, and no deer or fresh sign either. We often say it must be the 1080 cause there to be no deer. But more likely if there is no more, they move on.

Also, it there was plenty of food, they could hang around. Shouldnt heavy rain break down the pallets pretty quick too? Maybe it would depend on how think the bush is too?