Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Throwing this out there... Tahr and Aussies

Throwing this out there... Tahr and Aussies

Hey gents lets be real for a moment..... the Red stags golden eras are that far behind NZ it isnt funny, many Aussies still going for Ballots and the ever so elusive 'trophy red stag' but often settle for a beauty representive head , if targetting wild free range herds....

This tahr boolsheet....... Whats ya thoughts on the future effort and cost V reward for international Hunters coming to persue 'Trophy Tahr" initially and secondly just Tahr in general...

i understand that hunting is more than killing and the journey is often overlooked by a pair of antlers, with the antlers aside , hunting is great to get out an explore..
    im doing this now in Victoria, bushfires have smashed my herd and the illegal thermal poaching and Head hunting has taken its toll after 20 years of killing the Stock, seldom see a Trophy Sambar stag over 28 inches, 30 is a dream and those 26 inchers are getting swolled up by torches quicker than a chopper hovering over the Ahuriri....

What i wanted to do some years ago was invite international hunters to experience the sambar an take a stag home, this is now well back in the pile of, what ifs, im struggling to find a Representive head as it is, an i hunt alot, every 3 days id have been out or going out , i hunt around an know my deer well enough..unfortunatly i see enough llegal stuff to know what is going on.... 2+2 = Not any or many trophy animals for me to continue to persue 3 days a week say over Winter.... its just not worth the Effort, cost ,time for any Reward.....
    im already rethinking the guiding outfit, it may very well be City based Aussies chasing free range meat.... as even a Sambar hind is a tough an terrific hunt....
    antlers should not be seen as the ultimate trophy in Aus, rather the Meat harvest, these stags need alot of time....

its sad that it is a crisis bought on only by Hunters themselves. an not Helicopters... or a poisonous governement body...

With the Tahr............. or back to the tahr i should say....

What yas rekon...... the Dream still alive or is that TBC in coming months/years ?

Cheers an hopefully opens up some discussion

go back 20 years and overseas clients WERE only taking representative heads of any size from that herds on public land...chammy too. the last 5-10 years has been awesome hunting.....
    as for your poachers....go buy some relfective tape...make some "eyes" and place them around the show on deerish shaped trees...rusty 44 gallon drums have been strategically placed too..... got a mate with plasma cutter???? get them to whip up some deer cut outs...head n neck or full body and hang them around in strategic positions.....a shot into them will spook other animals in area,even with suppressors the twaaang of projectile going through tin will help.... these arent new ideas,it was common practice here a few years ago....heck some of us still place deers heads in forks of trees to fool folks...its a hell of a laugh when you get one of your mates with it....
    berg243 and Skipton butch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    go back 20 years and overseas clients WERE only taking representative heads of any size from that herds on public land...chammy too. the last 5-10 years has been awesome hunting.....
    as for your poachers....go buy some relfective tape...make some "eyes" and place them around the show on deerish shaped trees...rusty 44 gallon drums have been strategically placed too..... got a mate with plasma cutter???? get them to whip up some deer cut outs...head n neck or full body and hang them around in strategic positions.....a shot into them will spook other animals in area,even with suppressors the twaaang of projectile going through tin will help.... these arent new ideas,it was common practice here a few years ago....heck some of us still place deers heads in forks of trees to fool folks...its a hell of a laugh when you get one of your mates with it....
    ha ha it must be true, New Zealand is still 20 yrs behind....

Now days the technology is not a Dolphin torch out a window looking up trees for Deers..... its Thermal imaging handheld monoculars and also Thermal imaging Rifle scopes which are doing the damage across our State.

They will start selling Pulsars in NZ soon, an ya'll wonder where the big Royals have gone from the back paddock....

i do appreciate your response, its just very outdated

There is some talk of trying to Re write the Laws around Game animals to outlaw the use of Thermal imaging even in the Daylight, where many hunters are using them an totally takes away any reference to a Fair Chase hunt.

it is without any doubt, Daylight Spotlighting.

I know about he thermal thing......relo was working on huge station in north island and when feeding out /break fencing crop to cattle is wasnt unusual to find 5-6 decapitated stags in kahle....
    I do wonder if there isnt a simple way to stuff thermal poaching....maybe you need electric blanket LOL.
    recently when out hunting I was thinking how quiet some of the front country is becoming and put it down to thermal usage.

don't know if you've ever used thermal before but I highly doubt that would work. they are so sensitive nowadays you could very easily tell the difference between something luke warm and a body actually producing heat . Even in summer hot rocks during the day may confuse thermal for an hour or two just after dark at longer ranges but if a hot body was standing next to one its pretty obvious that the rock isn't a hot body simply from the heat signature.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    don't know if you've ever used thermal before but I highly doubt that would work. they are so sensitive nowadays you could very easily tell the difference between something luke warm and a body actually producing heat . Even in summer hot rocks during the day may confuse thermal for an hour or two just after dark at longer ranges but if a hot body was standing next to one its pretty obvious that the rock isn't a hot body simply from the heat signature.
    Some cretinous idiots would still shoot...

waro using the thermals too , shooting the big cunning stags that used to lay down and hide from them.