Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time to get back into it

HI Guys, Been so long in town I have forgotten how to judge walking times. LOL.
    So. Looking at taking the step son, (New FAL for him.) for his first overnighter.
    And with me being so out of shape, (2 years since last hunt), wanting to start slow.
    Question is, dose anyone have a rough time to walk from Smiths creek carpark to Dobsons shelter. Remember I'm no jack rabbit an more.

Good to see you are still around,Haven't seen ya since the hunt in Kaingaroa forest a few years back when you got bogged down with the flu.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Yip that was me, Been a few BIG life changes since then. Too long off and time to get serious about it all again...

About 2 hours

Hey irgnz been a while mate,we still got duckseason here till end of the month,and had a few deer reccys in the past few days but can't help with that area but you know where we are. Cheers Dundee
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by irgnz View Post
    Yip that was me, Been a few BIG life changes since then. Too long off and time to get serious about it all again...
    No major changes to life back here but have been a few improvements though. Still haven't shot another 30-06 since I had a go at shooting your one though.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

ebf
    Hey irgnz, do you mean smith creek shelter via Dobson loop / puffer saddle track ?

If so, yup about 2 hours, its pretty eroded and gets slippery in winter. Safer to leave your car at camp kaitoke, there is track up to Dobson loop from the camp.
    Last edited by ebf; 03-06-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    No major changes to life back here but have been a few improvements though. Still haven't shot another 30-06 since I had a go at shooting your one though.
    lol. Did my little cannon put you off. lol.
    Mind you I havn't shot anything for 2 years.
    Yip I do mean around Smiths creek. Got to ease in and give the lad a bit of experience before heading up to take on Dundees deer herd. LOL
    Thanks guys. Been over 20 years since I been in there.

Welcome back but in a way I don't think you ever really left. All the best for getting your step son on his first deer

lol. Did my little cannon put you off. lol.
    Mind you I havn't shot anything for 2 years.
    Yip I do mean around Smiths creek. Got to ease in and give the lad a bit of experience before heading up to take on Dundees deer herd. LOL
    Thanks guys. Been over 20 years since I been in there.
    No not at all mate those were only 130gr bullets anyway and were pretty tame I would still get back in the ring with a 30-06 again with 150 grainers but you can keep those 165's they are bad enough in a 308 with a warmish load under its bum, admittedly that 30-06 of yours was actually a very nice fit and made it really nice to shoot, I got a worse kicking from a 270 I had that turned out to be a very poor fit for me but still got back in the ring with a couple of other brands in 270.

Will I still got the -06. Butt hasn't had a shot put through her in a wee while. Was working on some 180gr loads for tops longish range stuff, (big pill going slowish), before things got turned up side down. LOL. Now those loads sit you firmly in your seat. LOL.
    I guess your right Sako75. Always been lurking but other things took priority. You know I never thought I'ld ever say there were more important things to do than go hunting. 2 years off is enough. Time to get back into it.

don't take the detour! go across the slips

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    don't take the detour! go across the slips
    +1
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

good to hear from ya today irgnz
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Will I still got the -06. Butt hasn't had a shot put through her in a wee while. Was working on some 180gr loads for tops longish range stuff, (big pill going slowish), before things got turned up side down. LOL. Now those loads sit you firmly in your seat. LOL.
    I guess your right Sako75. Always been lurking but other things took priority. You know I never thought I'ld ever say there were more important things to do than go hunting. 2 years off is enough. Time to get back into it.
    That was the first and only howa I have ever shot those 180's sound a tad nasty lol still got a pic of that certain target we all picked on while in Kaingaroa. Hopefully things are getting better for ya last I heard from you things were really dealing up a shit sandwich for ya, I think as soon as I can get myself a rifle I definitely feel a forum hunt should be in order especially if it means having a catch up with those I have met through FnH that I have not seen in a while, just one rule though you are not allowed to get the flu overnight this time lol