Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By sako75
  • 3 Post By Toby
  • 1 Post By Scribe
  • 1 Post By Scribe
  • 1 Post By Hunt4life

Thread: Time is getting close foe new places to hunt.

Time is getting close foe new places to hunt.

Hi all. Me and my mates are looking into hunting further down the north island. Kaimanawas, Kawekas etc.
    Have googled Clements and looks good so to speak. But was wondering what people thought of this spot by Mt Ngauruhoe?
    New Zealand Topographic Map - NZ Topo Map There looks to be a bit of bush/tussock. Anyone think its a good easy place to start for that type of hunting, or should we flag it and just get stuck into the other side where it known to be good?
    Would be good to work our way up to bigger and better spots so to speak, but don't want to get in over our heads.

Thanks.

I wonder if its impenetrable manuka scrub, might be worth a look though...

Look on Google earth and or wams for photos, gives much better idea of type of bush.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Sniper likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

The 2 squiggle bits (for want of a better word) along SH1 either side of Tree Trunk Gorge Road is from memory called the Twin Sisters.
    I know for a fact that the land on the left side of SH1 of the bottom squiggle is private land.
    We went there once with a Topo map. One of the lads pulls out a recreational map and it showed as been Maori land
    Sniper likes this.

it gets as much pressure as clements mill rd,probably more at night

If I had a $1 for everytime clements mill rd was mentioned here I'd soon have my new rifle in the safe.
    BRADS, Sniper and Hunt4life like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If I had a $1 for everytime clements mill rd was mentioned here I'd soon have my new rifle in the safe.
    I take it you haven't been to Clements, Toby...yeah well, nor have I...flown over it many times heading deeper into the interior...from the air it is just a big long road through the bush. It is where the people go that don't fly.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

sturg4
    Its been awhile but I don't think things have changed much. I used to leave Taupo and head down and hunt the right hand side of the road heading South. Always hunted up toward the mountain .

Opposite the old tea rooms site was a useful track or three where you could park out of sight of the road and a walking track that took you back to some good sizes clearings. The beech is quite clean underneath, always lots of sign, so its reasonable bush hunting.

Good place to have a sneak around during the roar.

Lots of sika around the area and we used to see a lot from the machine on the cutover under the pylons.
    Sniper likes this.

Where was the tearooms site Scribe? have never heard it mentioned before, but you have a few years on me
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Cool, thanks for the info.
    I guess we will just have to go and have a good old fashion crack.
    Sounds like a plan @bsa89

Thanks for the info lads, now all I need I'd a plane ticket home. Where are the old tearooms @Scribe

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Where was the tearooms site Scribe? have never heard it mentioned before, but you have a few years on me
    Where the road crosses the Oturere Stream, keep heading south and look for the first of the tussock/snowgrass on the left hand side of the road. That area was always called the old tearooms site, they were long gone when I hunted up there.

On the opposite side of the road a few hundred yards south are some vehicle tracks that lead into the scrub where you can park of the end of these tracks are walking tracks that take you back to a large clearing and several hunting areas.

You are not far from the Waipakahi. Throw a pack on with a fly sheet in it and head up into the tussock just on the Southern side of the river on a couple of clear windless early summer days. Just doss down in the tussock overlooking some of the big bush basins and you are bound to pick up a couple
    Sniper likes this.

Anywhere from Turangi south off SH1 seems ok. Pretty steep in places but only a 30-40 minute grunt through open Beech or tight Manuka to open tops, so plenty of everything. Never hunted the foothills of the three mountains on west side of SH1, so can't comment
    Sniper likes this.

Tree trunk gorge lacked deer sign when I was there two years ago, although I did find a solitary stag on a clay pan. Poor bugger had facial eczema, so did him a favour. Waipakihi area pretty good. Clements is easy though. 25minutes from Taupo and plenty of deer/sign. Very wary deer though and I'm yet to drop on there