Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Topo map tips?

Topo map tips?

So i currently use NZ topo50 north island really good map and using it offline works awesome too. Now ive done some research online but the american topo are a bit different to my one. Can some point out what i should be looking for.Name:  2C19936B-CA08-4511-9779-CD26ECDD2EEB.jpeg
Views: 879
Size:  150.2 KB
    NO4 likes this.

What do you mean by looking for?

Your picture has a gravel road running West to south(orange white) 4x4 tracks branching off it. 570 is m above sea level. Blwpue lines are creeks indicating Valley floor. Contours should be 20m Darke line every 100. Forestry on eastern edge with 4wd track (skidder track or some prick with 35" muddies)

Himmm American topo map Name:  5959AD91-A67A-4A74-832B-D82C9FEC9751.jpeg
Views: 798
Size:  803.0 KB
    New Zealand topo map Name:  C127002D-34F5-4A34-8576-0C6A92AED65A.jpeg
Views: 803
Size:  19.0 KB

Ok so let’s point out what you are looking for.....??????
    Could you please maybe rephrase the question cheers
    2post likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beginnerhunter View Post
    Can some point out what i should be looking for?
    Traditionally, X marks the spot. Try there.

Sorry. Sounds to me like you are asking for advice on which topo maps to buy for New Zealand?

Have a look at Memory-Map. Iuse it on iPad, android phone and Windows PC all under one license and it works extremely well.

The paper versions have a legend down the side that should help.

Thin orange lines denote 20m change in elevation and thick orange lines 100m.
    More meplat, more better.

Gone but not forgotten
    I think he is wanting to know how to identify good hunting areas from the maps?

NO4
    If you go to the top bar and select overlays(looks like a pile of paper)select national imagrey that will give you satellite photo of the area your looking at, you'll be able to see clearings /slips etc

Is this the app your using?

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Top effort there chaps based on the original post alone
    Bagheera and NO4 like this.

just to add the best way to understand and process how topo maps work is thru being out there and gaining experience. so take your map and compass your gps and plb and go for a hike , if you cant get out for a hunt go for a walk in one of the auckland ranges (hunua or waitaks whatever). i dont believe bush skill/sense and orienteering can be fully understood and learned thru reading or surfing the web.
    just my opinion
    Pengy, Gibo, Frogfeatures and 1 others like this.

I could add to what @scotty said, get an altimeter ant try following a contour line. Altimeters are very good for finding saddles and ridges in dense bush.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Aside from navigation, you could use your paper topo map as toilet paper (beware of paper cuts); as a giant cigar; as a blanket; or as a bib while you're snacking, so you don't get crumbs on your brand new hunting jacket.

Have you looked at the map 'key/legend'? There will always be one on the paper versions, and I'm pretty sure there's one on New Zealand Topographic Map - NZ Topo Map...it'll help you identify any map features which may be unique to our topography.

I’ll rephrase that I was meaning hinting areas on a topo to look out for photo was just an example of a random area. Cheers

so you understand the topomap format and whats a headgut or a waterfall and so on etc ? as mentioned above use the aerial layer to get a birdseye view of slips and clearings and wotnot transfer those onto your topo and go have a look deer have preferences for certain food and and will roam randomly to get it they do need to drink .when they are cold they want to warm up and when they are hot they want to cool down. what looks like a good spot may or may not be you need to put boots in their and look..... dont expect to look at a topo mark a spot go out and tip one over .... unless your really lucky you might have to hit a spot over and over again till you get the time and season right.... or if its shit flag it and try somewhere else.
    im sure ive missed something and if i got something wrong i will be corrected
    NO4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beginnerhunter View Post
    I’ll rephrase that I was meaning hinting areas on a topo to look out for photo was just an example of a random area. Cheers
    Are you wanting to know what areas hold deer (I.e head guts, basins) or where you are legally allowed to hunt? For the latter use the Doc GIS website.
    More meplat, more better.