Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Trapping rabbits

Trapping rabbits

Hi my old man's got a small block off land & he got to meny rabbits but can't shoot then due to neighbor's he got possum traps & was wanting to know the best way to set trap up to catch them thanks

ok...first step is locate where they are running through holes in fences....pretty easy to see "runs" grass is flattened and gap in grass under fence itself....nail trap chain to nearest post/batten or wire it to bottom wire (funny story here with electric fence) use your hammer to dig a bit of a hole directly in the run...make it about 1" deep...set trap in this hole and sprinle some dirt over the top....you can place a bit of newspaper over trap if you wish...I never bothered.... and walk away...check traps FIRST thing in morning every day.

be aware if domestic cats in area they can be caught to.
    doinit and Moa Hunter like this.

ok now the tale....many many years ago when I was much smaller and still had full head of hair...My father taught me how to set traps...we had small plantation of young pines and the trees were getting hit by rabbits....there was 4 wire electric fence around plantation...I knew it was a hot fence so would turn it off,go check my traps and flick it back on when heading home......I caught a few rabbits but Dad couldnt work out why the electric fence unit kept shorting out...yip you guessed it I had hooked trap onto bottom wire and never twigged as fence was always off when I went to trap.
    Kiwi Sapper and Moa Hunter like this.

When we were kids we would use broken guitar strings for snares on rabbit runs it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt08 View Post
    Hi my old man's got a small block off land & he got to meny rabbits but can't shoot then due to neighbor's he got possum traps & was wanting to know the best way to set trap up to catch them thanks
    Pay to check how old and type of traps the ol'man has got...the neighbors will have a field day dobbing you in if they are the wrong sort.

fenns are good...CONNIBEARS are next level......man them suckers are naaasty. had one half grown bunny caught across the arse and nose at same time...stretched out perfectly.it wouldnt have survived 2minutes.