Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By madjon_

Thread: Up to Mole hut

Up to Mole hut

Started up the Mole,got pissed off with the heat,silly old bugga going up a creek bed at 2.30 with not a cloud in the sky.Climbed out and found the Jameison ridge track,A fair but shady climb later the Tussock looked realy cool with the setting sun,glowing gold.A bit differant to te Urewera.Looking back down the valley,there's the bloody hut about a K an half away on the other side.
    Sidling round the bush edge to get across I hit a swampy bit,The dog took off after a smell of a Hare.Looking across to where I want to be,"Bugga Me" that looks like a Deer standing on that spur,pack off,down behind and can only see Rushes and weeds.Sit up,flip the pack upright,"sit,sit you black bastard",the dogs back and has seen whats across the gully.Jack a round up the spout,"Christ it's going to bolt" but no it's just reached back for nibble/scratch,"shift your head you silly shit",finally looks ahead,crackcch,whoomp,Deer gone,dogs off,I'm wet and muddy.Nothings moved on the other side so I load up the pack and head down to the creek,a quick drink and up to the spur.The dog comes running over to me,"look what I found",thinks he's real smart.Neck shot Yearling turned 180 by the 125 targex hp.
    By the time I get the backsteaks and wheels off it's almost dark,3/4 moon lights the way through the Tussock,it's hard going so the front wheels get cached.By this time some track standards have shown up but she's a hard sidle and I'm was stuffed 2 hours ago,One last overballance and a sit on my bum on the bank at a trickle of water and the rears are shoved under the tusock till the morning.
    I can see what looks like the track round the spur to the hut but end up in the Flax below the hut spur,FARRK,fight my way up and we is here,8 hours from the truck,I got a billy of water from the creek and drank most of it before I got a brew on,The dog took his biscuit and dropped it on the ground,I quess we both to stuffed to eat.I cooked a Lamb Fetticinee but it tasted like shit so I made a cuposoup.still awake after midnight.
    Up at 7 and picked up the bits and hung them in the creek,had the fetticinee for breakfast.Lazed around all day chasing Blowies off the meat untill I wrapped it in my silk then went up over Mole Saddle for a look round.The dog did his thing walkin through all the wet spots till he came to a semi Tairn,he disapeared,popped up swimming and hauled himself out,The look on his face was as comical as his dip.
    We sat on a big gully scaning the bush edge and Mole tops with the binos but nothing seen,back to the hut by headlight was fun too,light and Tussock make shadows that look like holes and holes that look like shadows.At least I found the right track to the hut not the Flax.Cuposoup with mixed veg and
    instant spud.
    Up be for the blowies to bone out pack up and clean the hut and on the way down the Mole,lots of windfall and slips to the main sidestream then it's boulder hopping for 2 1/2 hours,had a brew at the clearing then another 1/2 hour to the road.
    I'm to old for this shit...........yeah right.
    No photos cause the camera was under the breakfast bar,you forget things when you're older
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Re: Up to Mole hut

Good shit madjon :thumbup:

That's why i asked if you had a boat

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Very Nice

Been a long time since I've been up there.

I must go back one day soonish

Great story bud, Hope you'll still be huntin when we move to Richmond

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You certainly do forget things when you are older. Sounds like a hard but rewarding trip.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms