Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree34Likes
  • 23 Post By William
  • 1 Post By homebrew.357
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 3 Post By Husky1600
  • 3 Post By Chur Bay
  • 2 Post By Boaraxa
  • 1 Post By Sideshow

Thread: Update on the Horseback Hunting.

Wink Update on the Horseback Hunting.

Hey Boys,

Just a bit of an update from a post I made way back when.
    I decided I wanted to Start riding a few years ago and of course combine this new hobby with my hunting.
    This was, as it turns out not as simple as it seemed, takes a lot more training and equipment that i had thought.

Long story cut short. I going out yesterday with a mate, He running his Ebike. Me on my big chunky mare Lucy.
    Had an awesome time, Shot me a beaut young fellow doe, Even used the horse to drag the kill up out of the gully for butchering.

Hope to get out again after the cavalcade and make a few gear changes from what I learnt. I think this is my new way of putting meat in the freezer.

Cheers,
    Willy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bloody great, what a mate to go hunting with and he can carry all the gear. Way better than fore wheel drive.
    William likes this.

Nice looking horse. My family are heavily into horses. After a 17yr break I’ve got myself another horse. Looking forward to a few treks into hunting areas.
    William likes this.

I used horses in Canada, rode for over 200 days in 2 seasons, loved it. Gonna get me some in a year or 2 when I get closer to old age. Cant wait to saddle up, pack a spare pony and visit some of the places I've hunted over the years.
    stug, William and Mathias like this.

Thanks cool. Was talking to a guy in Te Urewera. Meathunting was the family business. His dad had a horse that would indicate deer. When they were close it would drop its head.
    northdude, William and Russian 22. like this.

I can believe it, My mare definitely acts funny when she winds game, also was happy to go hell for leather after a bouncing deer arse. Then again she wouldn't have a bar of it when I tried to throw it over her back.

I used to carry electric tape in my saddle bags when I got to my possies id just make a pen around the pongas one day I rode way out the back of the station put the horse in his makeshift pen & I started my stalk well an hour latter I spotted movement away over the next ridge ...yep my steady steed was heading home without me bastard only stopped when he got to the fence line 2 k,s away
    William and Blisters like this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Sounds familiar, but mine wouldn't stop probably, she would just speed up. in this case we floated there so she didn't know where home was. ment she just stayed stayed with me, didn't even have to hitch her. even after shooting. I looked back expecting to only she the dust from her arse. instead she hadn't even bothered to blink.

Nice way to hunt, good for those heavy loads.

That's fucking cool man good on ya. Get a lassoo next time and pull one in haha

It's hard enough to get a rope around a calf running in a flat arena haha, Might bring the lariat next time just for cool factor haha

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It's hard enough to get a rope around a calf running in a flat arena haha, Might bring the lariat next time just for cool factor haha
    Isnt that why cowboys had guns
    William likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.